• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

It's Time for New Speakers! Oh, dear . .. . .

I think it's time I got rid of my JBL speakers. It was great while it lasted. They were proudly made in Northridge, Ca. in 1983 and I've had them ever since. Been through 5 houses, 1 apartment, 2 wives, 1 daughter . . . you get the idea. But times change. I currently have my new Topping D50 feeding my Schitt Magni III
then out to my Topping PA3. So 70 watts is my limit. Looking for something a little smaller than the JBLs , kinda big at 16 x 10 x 8.
Would consider active speakers because I have read that many like them because the amp, inside, is designed for that speaker only, tailor made.
Also, over at Massdrop, they are showing a speaker from a Finnish company call Amphion. Anybody hear of them?
Thanking everyone in advance for any suggestions and help you may give.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
You could go back to JBL's though if well priced powered speakers are what you're considering. Many good comments on the JBL LSR 305's .

blackmetalboon

I’ve heard a couple of the smaller passive speakers in the Amphion Argon range, sounded pretty decent with a much bigger sound than their size suggested.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does this include the Massdrop variation " JBL 3xx ' ?
I believe that is the older version. My only experience is with the second revision but I think the difference between them is small.

OP
T
I DON'T NEED NEW SPEAKERS!! I NEED MY HEAD EXAMINED!!!
I can't believe I did this. I bought the Topping PA3 and the Schiit Magni III at the same time. Hooked them up with computer and speakers at the same time. I liked the sound but thought the headphone output was a bit brash / bright but OK. Kept thinking the speakers were getting on in years because of a muddiness in the mid tones. A friend advised that I start with each part and isolate the performance. Put the DAC straight into the speakers ( no can do - not active), put the DAC and M III together and unplug amp - still too bright. Drop the M III and just DAC and PA3.

UNbelievable !!!
The " masking" was gone!
It was the Schiit Magni III !! I hooked everything back together and got the same muddy sound. Pulled the M III out and the music was back!
Whether it is line in / line out or pre-amp nothing should color sound like that. I will never use that again.
Now the only question is does amirm want to test the darn thing.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Ardacer

lol

btw regarding the active monitors, I wish I'd bought something with volume control in front (as a pair).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, for good or bad, I have a Schiit Magni 3. :)
Have you or will you test it? I wonder if their analog stuff is not as wonky as their DAC's. Then again, it's only $100.

Top Bottom