• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

It's just more " there..."

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

I don't know. I'm finding it more and more difficult to write Ol' Steve off as a harmless quack. Here he reviews an $8000 dac...$8000!!! Apparently, it's fantastic! Compared to another dac he has on hand which is "much cheaper" at only $4000, the more expensive unit is just more "there" than the cheap one. It's also more analog. You know, less digital. Because we all know digital stinks.

I'd like to know what this $8000 dac (or even the cheap $4000 one) are doing that a good $200 dac isn't...

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to know what this $8000 dac (or even the cheap $4000 one) are doing that a good $200 dac isn't...
image.jpg

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I don't know. I'm finding it more and more difficult to write Ol' Steve off as a harmless quack. Here he reviews an $8000 dac...$8000!!! Apparently, it's fantastic! Compared to another dac he has on hand which is "much cheaper" at only $4000, the more expensive unit is just more "there" than the cheap one. It's also more analog. You know, less digital. Because we all know digital stinks.

He is in my subjective opinion some pretty hefty combination of dumb and incompetent and ignorant and dishonest. It’s hard to judge the proportions. I’d need to sit down with him for an hour and I could probably parse it out. He’s very bad for the consumer side of the audio industry. I have no patience for him. Not that he would care what I think.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The only times I get to see one of his vids (same is true for Paul McClown and Z reviews) is when someone posts about it here.
I never look for stuff like that online and when it pops up in serach results I skip those results when I see where it originates from.

OP
Sgt. Ear Ache

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
yeah, I've watched enough of these vids over the past couple years that they show up in my youtube feed regularly and I'll click on one occasionally if I'm bored. That's what happened here. I saw the vid and thought "hmmmm, I bet that's an expensive dac. I also bet Steve is going to make some nutty claims about what he can hear from it. Let's see if I'm right!" lol. I was right. It only takes a few seconds usually before my eyes start to roll up into my head...

OP
Sgt. Ear Ache

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I love how he claims that he plugged the dac in and put on some music and he was "instantly" aware that the thing is amazing! I have to wonder if the improvement was night and day!

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only times I get to see one of his vids (same is true for Paul McClown and Z reviews) is when someone posts about it here.
I never look for stuff like that online and when it pops up in serach results I skip those results when I see where it originates from.

I never click on these videos when they appear here or anywhere else. Clicks = $ and I don't want to support these clowns.

Martin

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't begrudge him making a living but I frankly tire of his nakedly click-bait titles/subjects.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know. I'm finding it more and more difficult to write Ol' Steve off as a harmless quack.
I have no such problem, I don't care about his motivation, or what he truly believes, his actions are frequently shilling for expensive kit, and he shows no desire to investigate better sound for more people, just generate 'content' to drive clicks. Journalism is meant to have a code of ethics.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

A bull shilling company named Aries Cerat in Spain explains this "analog sound" in full blown lies and false information claiming that the filters have a high energy at several MHz are what make up for that "digital sound"

https://ariesceratespana.com/pages/kassandra-ii-signature-dac/

Delta sigma DACs are today’s standard for digital processors. Not because they provide better audio quality, but because of availability and ease of implementation of digital filters. Filters that became more and more complex, only because of the artifacts created with delta sigma modulation. The Kassandra’s prototype was developed very early, not as a commercially available design, but as a cost no object lab tool, my personal reference tool for speaker and amplifier development. The decision to put it in production and to be commercially available was decided at a much later stage.
We found since then, with many new converters launched daily with impressive specs. on paper, that they fell short of what we call analogue sound. They always presented that electronic signature that gives digital reproduction a bad name. The ladder DAC (R2R) is a resistor network switched by an N number of switches, N being the bit depth. It is a passive sort of speak procedure, whereas delta sigma (DS) technology, while still developing and moving forward, is a completely different kind of conversion procedure.
Creating an analogue signal from noise shaping (as in DS conversion) sounds counter intuitive. The very complex, very high order filters implemented to reconstruct the analog signal do create very good specifications on paper. However the high complexity of the filters and resultant very high energy (several KHz-MHz noise present) is what gives all DS converters their distinctive sonic signature, a sonic attribute often given the term ‘digital sound’.

Surprise, maybe not, as I expected that their 20000 euro DAC is NOS, no reconstruction filter R2R tube output stage DAC that probably measures 10% THD or more for that coveted "analog sound"

TimF

Forum Donor
I cannot watch his videos because it makes me so uncomfortable just like I cannot watch videos of the singer who calls herself Aurora or videos of Bjork. Did I pronounce Bjork right?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
He is in my subjective opinion some pretty hefty combination of dumb and incompetent and ignorant and dishonest. It’s hard to judge the proportions. I’d need to sit down with him for an hour and I could probably parse it out. He’s very bad for the consumer side of the audio industry. I have no patience for him. Not that he would care what I think.
I'd agree though I'd say that he doesn't strike me as dishonest at all. Just stubborn in a bad way. He does give some good "introspective" advice about enjoying your equipment and being clear on your reasons for buying this or that piece.

I'd never actually take his advice on gear, but I think a conversation or two would be interesting. He knows a lot about music and has a good sense of history.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Top Bottom