• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

It's An "iPhone" Of The Headphone World?| Sennheiser HD 600 Headphone Review By Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer

Hey, guys. This is my first headphone review on YouTube.:D

I'm a mixing engineer from China, And I wanna continue to make this headphone review in the future. I spent a lot of time on this show and has learned a lot of knowledge about headphone measurement, but I always think I still have many things to learn. I will try to tell my experience of HD600 in music petitioner's view, and I'm happy to accept all the criticize, if I made any technical problems please tell me hardly,and for language problems too. thank you for being my teacher.

My measuring equipment and software: REW,a 711 with a clone pinna,E1DA, and a pair of KH310 in a good acoustic environment for reference. My 711 and pinna is okay comparing to a lot of data, I really hope I can get a better one like amir‘s, but I'm just a not-that-rich-renter In Beijing. And this might make me can't pay my next month rent. Maybe in the future I will have one. I sincerely hope so.

It's Like iphone Of The Headphone World? Sennheiser HD 600 Headphone Review By Cuckoo Studio.m...png

It's Like iphone Of The Headphone World? Sennheiser HD 600 Headphone Review By Cuckoo Studio.m...png

Sine wave sweep distortion test in REW.
I didn't use percent, And I'm planning to adding a hearable threshold on this graphic in the future. A familiar high distortion at the low end, And good performance at mid and high range.
Sometimes I feel that distortion can't tell much about a headphone‘s actual sound quality unless it's very high. it's audible in lowend but is similar to my speaker‘s lowend distortion, I claim that I didn't take it as an issue in my video, but I'm not very sure that if I should compare speakers with headphones.

I made this "vertical" frequency response. I think it can help associate with the actual sense of hearing easier.
when mixing music, we usually feel that high frequency is at high position, like when I boost 10000 Hz, the feeling above our heads gets more. And low frequency are in our chest, or lower.
And I've purposely blurred the frequencies, leaving only the 20-20000Hz markers and the variable areas of 100Hz and 8000Hz, I want to make this image more simple to read and feel, I think is more in line with our intuition when listening to headphones without Confused by overly detailed graph. If you need the original detailed chart, I can provide them outside the video.

yeah HRTF are soo different from each other, but I only marked hearing loss area, maybe that age-depend high shelf and cut is important too.
For low end I think it's variable too, because of different wearing. I use harman over ear 2018 without bass boost, I personally don't like the bass boost version, cause too much low frequency masking effect masks too much mid and high details.

Now, finally, here we go. “Cuckoo Studio Mixing Space.”
It's inspired by The Art Of Mixing — Made by genius genius David Gibson.
You can find this video on YouTube. It will blow your mind.

0918371171.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg
art of mixing.PNG

So I've tried many, many ways to describe a headphone's sound field,dynamic etc, but then I found that language is really too weak to use when describing sound.
And I think that maybe I can use this way to visually tell what I hear.

Basically, it's like that vertical frequency response. High frequencies are high, and low frequencies are at low position. If it has a low end roll off,the bass and kick will be smaller. If high frequency has reduces, the instrument’s position will become lower,the opposite situation than go higher.
Horizontal for open back, It's wide, but not as a pair of speakers 1.6-1.8 m's wide. I won't spend too much time to figure out that between different headphones how much width difference are they, that will drive me crazy, This is just a rough graphic of my feeling,but I will make the width narrower when I try to make a IEM‘s graph.

I'm pretty pretty sure that even if headphone's frequency response are exactly the same,which is impossible, they are different at something like transient response, feeling of instruments separation and others. I used to use cheap headphones and flattened it with harman target and tried to mixing on it, And it's just totally different experience comparing to HD 600,GMP 450 PRO which also flattened. I wanna use this side view of depth to tell my feeling of different headphone's dynamic difference.

I actually hate making this image, I have 20+ pairs of headphones in the studio, and every time I want to have more contrast to minimize my subjective impact,I need to compare many other headphones and eqing them to same fr,and will confirm again in the next few days,it's really tiring.

I'm not going to add any specific numerical scales to this graph, as that would be a measurement need that's beyond my abilities when encountering similar headphones. If I had really bad transients and smeared headphones, I would squish it, and if it was great but had room for improvement, it would probably be like the HD600.
I really hope that I can find a way to connect some other measurements data to my “depth” feeling,I don't want it to be just a metaphysics.
Group delay? Impulse response? Square wave response? channel differences?or maybe intermodulation distortion?

I really, really want to discuss this topic with you guys.

I spent three hours finishing typing these text and it's 2 am in the east now. I need to improve my English typing speed.:confused:
I accept harsh criticism and friendly discussions at the same time,feel free to type something to me.:D:D:D

Attachments

• 耳机声场图-原版-正面-正面.png
    耳机声场图-原版-正面-正面.png
    620.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'll finish reading the review later but for now welcome to ASR and I appreciate your effort for diving deeper than just a "how I hear it" kind of review.
It'd be great if besides reviewing widely known and successful models you can also review or give out more information about domestic products or products that are doing well in China. It will colorize your content and besides that there aren't really many people who "bridge" Hi-Fi in China to the rest of the world.

OP
Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
I'll finish reading the review later but for now welcome to ASR and I appreciate your effort for diving deeper than just a "how I hear it" kind of review.
It'd be great if besides reviewing widely known and successful models you can also review or give out more information about domestic products or products that are doing well in China. It will colorize your content and besides that there aren't really many people who "bridge" Hi-Fi in China to the rest of the world.
I will post reviews of Chinese products on youtube in the future, before that I want to learn more from my new friends in the ASR forum:D

Top Bottom