• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Itchy ear canal and IEM?

Multicore

Major Contributor
I have itchy ears. I want to stick my finger in for a good scratch. (I don't. It doesn't fit.) It means that I can't comfortably use IEMs like the Etymotic for more than a few minutes.

If you have overcome ear itch that sounds like this, how did you do it?

I just started experimenting with moisturizing. O'Keeffe's Working Hands in the right and baby oil in the left.

Katji

Major Contributor
I sometimes get long hairs (getting older) that cause an itchy sensation.
I trim them with a battery powered cutter.
I was just thinking about it a couple days ago... cell regeneration stops or slows, but hairs on my ears seem to be growing 3x more. :confused:

litemotiv

You could have a lingering ear infection if it's regularly itchy (yeast, bacterial), generally harmless if it doesn't get painful. Some people are more prone to them than others. If this is the case then a short treatment with drops should provide relief, you can ask your doctor about this.

Last edited:

Peterinvan

If you suffer from psoriasis, you might want to look into non-inflammatory diets. I recently tried Dr. hayman’s detox diet, and my psoriasis improved. Much less itchiness overall.

Georgrig

You could have a lingering ear infection if it's regularly itchy (yeast, bacterial), generally harmless if it doesn't get painful. Some people are more prone to them than others. If this is the case then a short treatment with drops should provide relief, you can ask your doctor about this.
Agreed. Better check with a doctor. Had similar symptoms before; turned out to be an ear infection and I was prescribed antibiotic ear drops.

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
Interesting. It's been like this for years.

litemotiv

Interesting. It's been like this for years.

Yes it can last years! If you naturally produce little earwax or your wax is more dry (brittle/yellowish) rather than dark red, this can be a symptom. Earwax contains antibacterial / antifungal proteins but in some cases not enough is distributed throughout the canal to fully suppress inflammations.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It doesn't have to be infection or inflammatory proces or certain material allergy. It dodent have to be related to any problem if you simply cannot put with something stick to your inter ear. I don't really stand IEM's and it irritates me and if I use them for long enough my ears start to become itchy so I use earbuds instead.

radix

Major Contributor
Personally, I just don't like things in my ear. I'll take an on-ear or over-ear headphone anytime over something stuck into the ear canal.

BTW, rinsing with a few drops of topical hydrogen peroxide (i.e. stuff you use for first aid, not concentrated) in the ear works well for reducing wax and itch. Put a few drops in, then lay down until the bubbling stops, then and drain.

Top Bottom