• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Issues with REW

01svtL

Having what I can only determine are issues with REW, or possibly the laptop it is loaded on. I have a brand new UMIK-1. I downloaded REW 64 bit and the 2 calc files. Some initial questions to get out of the way:
  1. Is the 64 bit download correct for a basic laptop, or should I have gone with the 32 bit. A quick Google search didn't reveal the difference or a suggestion, and I'm m a total newbie.
  2. When running the measurement sweep, should there be static/crackly coming out of the speaker it is sending the signal to?
  3. I could only get REW to send a signal through the headphone out - into left/right analog input of Marantz. Is this a problem? HDMI out played through the laptop speakers, even though the laptop settings showed it set specifically to Marantz. I checked with a second laptop, no AVR settings changed, and the HDMI output went to the Marantz automatically.
    1. Because of (3), I have deleted REW from the original laptop all together and will download it on my other one once (1), above, is answered. This laptop is a little more powerful, though still just a work-provided laptop. (i7 Dell)
  4. When I'm trying to set the AVR output level to 65db, according the the REW measurement, it sounded low to me, so I put my iPhone right next to the UMIK and it was reading a full 10DB lower than REW. WTF?
  5. Also when trying to set the level to 65db, REW was reading all over the place. Sometimes it would dip all the way to 40 without touching the Marantz volume, sometimes it would read in the 60's with nothing playing at all. I guarantee the ambient sound in my room is not 60+ db. Could headphone out be the issue?
My speakers are the DIYSG Helix MTM, built to spec using the parts in the kit. My only addition was I glued all interior walls with a thin Dynamat-like material. Considering the regular TM version reviewed so well, I refuse to believe the results from my measurements, which I'll try to attach here. Something is wrong, and I can't figure out what. I watched 2 different videos prior to attempting this, and set all the options as they had it as best as I can tell. My UI/Options looked different than what they had.

4QrHfgE.png

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Having what I can only determine are issues with REW, or possibly the laptop it is loaded on. I have a brand new UMIK-1. I downloaded REW 64 bit and the 2 calc files. Some initial questions to get out of the way:
  1. Is the 64 bit download correct for a basic laptop, or should I have gone with the 32 bit. A quick Google search didn't reveal the difference or a suggestion, and I'm m a total newbie.
  2. When running the measurement sweep, should there be static/crackly coming out of the speaker it is sending the signal to?
  3. I could only get REW to send a signal through the headphone out - into left/right analog input of Marantz. Is this a problem? HDMI out played through the laptop speakers, even though the laptop settings showed it set specifically to Marantz. I checked with a second laptop, no AVR settings changed, and the HDMI output went to the Marantz automatically.
    1. Because of (3), I have deleted REW from the original laptop all together and will download it on my other one once (1), above, is answered. This laptop is a little more powerful, though still just a work-provided laptop. (i7 Dell)
  4. When I'm trying to set the AVR output level to 65db, according the the REW measurement, it sounded low to me, so I put my iPhone right next to the UMIK and it was reading a full 10DB lower than REW. WTF?
  5. Also when trying to set the level to 65db, REW was reading all over the place. Sometimes it would dip all the way to 40 without touching the Marantz volume, sometimes it would read in the 60's with nothing playing at all. I guarantee the ambient sound in my room is not 60+ db. Could headphone out be the issue?
My speakers are the DIYSG Helix MTM, built to spec using the parts in the kit. My only addition was I glued all interior walls with a thin Dynamat-like material. Considering the regular TM version reviewed so well, I refuse to believe the results from my measurements, which I'll try to attach here. Something is wrong, and I can't figure out what. I watched 2 different videos prior to attempting this, and set all the options as they had it as best as I can tell. My UI/Options looked different than what they had.

4QrHfgE.png
1. Does not matter for most people. 32 bit just cannot access as much RAM. All modern computers are 64 bit, so use that when available.

2. No. That indicates the speaker, amp, or even your source device is distorting.

3. To make REW use HDMI audio properly, you need to install ASIO4All. If you use the headphone output of your laptop, you need to check your audio settings and make sure Windows is allowing a full-range signal, and not applying EQ.

4. 99.99% chance your iPhone is reading dBA, which is weighted to rolloff the bass heavily. dBA is always lower than unweighted. You can use the real-time analysis in REW to change the weighting and see for yourself.

5. Might be related to your static/crackling problem. Repeating sweeps should have almost no deviation, with the exception of background noise. You should aim for at least 80dB when doing in-room measurements, you want the signal to be substantially above the noise floor, in order to get more accurate time domain data, REW does not just measure frequency response.

Are you perhaps measuring left and right combined, but one channel is wired out of phase? That would certainly cause a lot of cancellation in the response, like you are seeing. Check each speaker individually with a near-field response.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I thought I did. The video I watched said to set to -12db. I'll watch this video though.
What I meant and I don’t remember the exact value is to set the gain of the mic to something like 0.53 or 0.5. Actually MiniDSP might have these values too because you need to tell REW what input correlates to what SPL. It’s been a while sorry. But it should be explained somewhere.

OP

01svtL

1. Does not matter for most people. 32 bit just cannot access as much RAM. All modern computers are 64 bit, so use that when available.

2. No. That indicates the speaker, amp, or even your source device is distorting.

3. To make REW use HDMI audio properly, you need to install ASIO4All. If you use the headphone output of your laptop, you need to check your audio settings and make sure Windows is allowing a full-range signal, and not applying EQ.

4. 99.99% chance your iPhone is reading dBA, which is weighted to rolloff the bass heavily. dBA is always lower than unweighted. You can use the real-time analysis in REW to change the weighting and see for yourself.

5. Might be related to your static/crackling problem. Repeating sweeps should have almost no deviation, with the exception of background noise. You should aim for at least 80dB when doing in-room measurements, you want the signal to be substantially above the noise floor, in order to get more accurate time domain data, REW does not just measure frequency response.

Are you perhaps measuring left and right combined, but one channel is wired out of phase? That would certainly cause a lot of cancellation in the response, like you are seeing. Check each speaker individually with a near-field response.

Yea when I was trying to set up ASIO like he did in the video I watched, nothing showed up in the dropdown box for "output." Or even "input" for that matter. So I'm not sure what the issue was there...

So I should level match both speakers to 80db instead of 65db before running the measurement?

Left and Right were not combined. I checked for that. But also, sound was only coming from one side, and I figured out how to switch back and forth. I had a measurement for both sides, but when I deleted the program it deleted those files too, obviously. I just only took a screen shot of one of them.

I have a Denon x3700 being delivered today. I will download REW onto my other laptop (if it'll allow me) and try running it again this evening. There's a lot of construction going on during the day behind our house, so need to wait for all of that noise to stop.

puppet

Did you install the microphone calibration file for REW to use?

OP

01svtL

Did you install the microphone calibration file for REW to use?
I did. It looks like I need to calibrate the sound card still? This part was completely left out of both videos I watched.

OP

01svtL

Oh, should I measure both speakers together for a more accurate representation of what the room is doing at the listening position, or each speaker separately?
Should I run REW in pure/direct without Audyssey applied?

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Oh, should I measure both speakers together for a more accurate representation of what the room is doing at the listening position, or each speaker separately?
Should I run REW in pure/direct without Audyssey applied?
Individual and both.
As with Audyssey depends on your objectives. I run an initial sweep in direct mode. Then let Audyssey do its thing and then again to confirm the effect of Audyssey another REW sweep. You can plot the before and after next to one another and compare and fine tune Audyssey if needed/desired

OP

01svtL

Alright, here's what I've done so far. Feedback welcome.

Front Left Audyssey Off:
Left AudOff.PNG

Front Left Audyssey On:
Left AudOn.PNG

Sub set to L+R Audyssey off:

Sub LR AudOff.PNG

Sub set to L+R Audyssey On:

Sub LR AudOn.PNG

And for reference, here are my Audyssey curves after edits in the App:

Front Curve.PNG

Sub Curve.PNG

Audyssey Left Before/After from the App:
Audyssey Correction.jpg

Audyssey Before/After Sub:
Sub BeforeAfter.jpg

Attachments

• Left AudOff.PNG
    Left AudOff.PNG
    54.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Left AudOn.PNG
    Left AudOn.PNG
    50.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Left AudOff.PNG
    Left AudOff.PNG
    54.2 KB · Views: 46
OP

01svtL

Any feedback? Does it look like I ran these correctly, or do my graphs look off? Again, I have a pair of DIYSG Helix Dome MTM with MLP at about isosceles triangle, and the speakers are just slightly toed in so the MLP is about 25 degree off-axis. Judging from my Audyssey off graphs, am I reading it right that I should let Audyssey correct up to about 10K for this room? That's what I have it set at now, but the high end seems a little echoey/harsh in here still. I could reduce toe a little?
@puppet @HarmonicTHD

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom