• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Issue with noise from cayin IHA6 headphone amp

PhiL1

Hello guys,

so today my cayin iha6 started to output static noise on the left channel of the 4pin balanced output. There is 0 audible noise on the unbalanced output.
I am 99% sure the issue comes from the amp. I have tested on another power outlet without anything but the headphone connected. Static noise persists.
Switching left and right on the headphone plugs also switches the noise from L to R.
I cant find a service manual for the iha6 online and hoped that maybe one of you can point me towards the right direction. I really, really want to use the balanced output instead of the unbalanced one...
Does anyone know if the balanced output uses a seperate opamp (maybe the opamp for left balanced out is damaged?!)? Can noise in my mains introduce such an issue?
If i can provide you with any further information to help the troubleshooting ill gladly provide that.

kind regards,

Phil

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello guys,

so today my cayin iha6 started to output static noise on the left channel of the 4pin balanced output. There is 0 audible noise on the unbalanced output.
I am 99% sure the issue comes from the amp. I have tested on another power outlet without anything but the headphone connected. Static noise persists.
Switching left and right on the headphone plugs also switches the noise from L to R.
I cant find a service manual for the iha6 online and hoped that maybe one of you can point me towards the right direction. I really, really want to use the balanced output instead of the unbalanced one...
Does anyone know if the balanced output uses a seperate opamp (maybe the opamp for left balanced out is damaged?!)? Can noise in my mains introduce such an issue?
If i can provide you with any further information to help the troubleshooting ill gladly provide that.

kind regards,

Phil
Got another balanced headphone (or more importantly headphone cable) you can try?

OP
P

PhiL1

Got another balanced headphone (or more importantly headphone cable) you can try?
i sadly dont have another balanced cable. The headphone is not the issue (noise switches from L to R if i switch the plugs). And its fine on unbalanced.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i sadly dont have another balanced cable. The headphone is not the issue (noise switches from L to R if i switch the plugs). And its fine on unbalanced.
I didn't think it was the headphone. It may, however, be the cable.

OP
P

PhiL1

Hey me again.
I did check all the cable connection (its a custom cable and i unscrewed all the plugs to check the connections). I didn't see anything suspicious however after checking the noise was gone. So i am positive that it was a fault in the cable. I will keep a close eye on this issue nontheless.

Thank you for your input.

Kind regards,

Phil

Top Bottom