• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

issue with ECI-2, CXN v2 and external 2.5" HDD

Hello,
I'm looking for an explanation regarding the following issue, please.

2.5" HDD -> CXN v2 -> ECi-2

I'm playing WAV files from an external 2.5" HDD (does not have external plug for power, it is takeing power via the same USB port) that is connected to a Cambridge CXN v2. The CXN is linked to Electrocompaniet ECI-2. The problem is that regarding the selected input of the ECI-2, I have a very disturbing noise in the speakers. When the hdd platans starts to spin I can hear that sound in the speakers. The noise is not rising if I increase the volume. It remains constant. It's like I would have a microfon placed on the top of the HDD.
I tried 3 different amps and the disturbing sound was not present. Only when I use the ECI-2 as amplifier. But, if I use and external 3.5" HDD with external plug charger the problem is solved. I played some music from a CD player connected to ECI-2 and the sound is clean, there is no noise.
My question is who's fault for this issue is? Cambridge CNX v2 for sending some brum, noise or the Electgrocompaniet ECI-2 for not having some filters? The ECI-2 might be broken?

Thank you for your time.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Just replace the HDD with a external cheap Sata SSD. Shouldn't require that much power from the USB 2 port .

OP
G
Thank you Snoopy.
In the mean time I already tried an external SSD and it worked. I also used an ifi defender+ and it eliminated the parasite sound.
Issue solved :)

Top Bottom