• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IsoAcoustic Stand on top of 24" Floorstand to bring the speaker to ear level? Does it make sense?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both LS 50 Metas and OG LS50's. Mine are on 22" Sanus stands and sound fine. LS 50's (both versions) are meant to be listened to off axis. By having them on a stand lower than ear height, you are probably putting the tweeter 15-20 degrees off-axis which is where their FR is the most even. Just use a little blue tack so they won't fall off if bumped.
IMHO the Metas have a smoother FR and don't sound nearly as bright even though highly detailed there. Never heard the R3's so I can't speak to how they sound w respect to either LS 50.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kef recommends stands 18" to 24" in height.

Ataraxia

Kef recommends stands 18" to 24" in height.
I wonder about that because my R3's need to be at about 28" stands to get the center image off the floor. Similar when put my LS50 Metas in those 28". This with me sitting on a standard couch or chair.

Lawhaus

How do you like R11 comparing with LS50? I’m contemplating an upgrade, to R3 or R5? I’m just afraid if I lose anything with floor standing due to room complications? What’s your experience?

I had the LS50’s for almost 10 years with a sub before upgrading. So I knew them very well. When I upgraded to the R11 + sub I was honestly disappointed at first.

I felt like I lost a lot of detail and clarity. The mid and mid-bass sounded better though.

For me this was unacceptable after spending this much money, so that’s why I decided to go to the next step, get a MiniDSP with Umik mic and Dirac. Once I started doing measurements and seeing the actual in room frequency response, it all made sense.

The tuning of the speakers is just slightly different from my preference. With Dirac I can make the treble sound exactly like the LS50’s, meaning a slight boost in 4khz region. And also making the treble more flat towards 20khz (R11 rolls off a bit in my room). It took me 7 iterations over a few months to get to my personal ‘perfect’ frequence response curve. It’s very fun to do, because small changes can be heard immediately.

As added benefit I could integrate sub better than ever before thanks to measurements.

Imho, if you want to upgrade from original LS50’s, first get a sub, then get DSP, and only after that, when you still feel like you miss something, look at other speakers. It’s the most sure way to get significant improvements for least amount of money.

Top Bottom