• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is WiiM pro a bluesound node and Yamaha wxc 50 killer ?

Is WiiM pro a Bluesound node and Yamaha wxc 50 killer ?

• No, this unit seems not as good

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Maybe - wait for Amirms review

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Yes , the WiiM pro seems to be better value

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't multiroom but from memory wiim devices either can or in the pipeline.

I've not used any BluOS devices but for my use case (spotify, qobuz and amazon streaming, digital into a dac/amp, controlled via phone /voice ) I wouldn't need to look twice at a Bluesound Node device now I have wiim mini.
That's perfectly valid.
But the poll question is confusing, IMO.

I do use BlueOS accross 4 rooms at home.
Multiroom is what I paid it for.
Except Sonos and Roon (which requires a dedicated PC), and maybe some other proprietary system, there is little competition for that.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's perfectly valid.
But the poll question is confusing, IMO.

I do use BlueOS accross 4 rooms at home.
Multiroom is what I paid it for.
Except Sonos and Roon (which requires a dedicated PC), and maybe some other proprietary system, there is little competition for that.
Agreed. I would answer the poll differently to you. If all Blu customers were me I'd be very worried for Blu.

Edit oh and found this in wiim pro manual.... Looks like wiim Multiroom relies on you having them set up as either amazon alexa, chromecast or link play devices. Fine for me as an amazon music/alexa user, ymmv

Screenshot_20230615-145343.png

brjoon1021

I bought the wiim pro plus a little over a week ago and I am really happy with it using its line outs (internal DAC). Pages of worthless measurements will not follow to justify my impression that it sounds good. Your call, but I will be surprised if you don't like it. If you don't I will buy it from you for a small discount :)

trigovina

I used both wiim pro and Bluesound Node 2i,
I can say that wiim pro mobile app is user friendly and has more details.
Since i use external dac, i didn't compare the sound quality separately.
Wiim Pro has also SPDIF in and out that i'd prefer. i sold my Node 2i.
Wiim Pro Plus will be my next streamer.

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
Update because I have bought a WiiM pro , and sold my Yamaha wxc50.

1. Sound quality using an external dac is better using the WiiM pro than using a bluesound node or Yamaha wxc50.
The main reason for this is the PEQ function thats both transparent sounding and makes your speakers sound better than without PEQ.

2. The digital preamp with volume regulation in WiiM pro is better sounding than the wxc50 . Its clearly audible.
This is a very nice option because you also get good sounding digital volume regulation from spdif out to an external
Dac. You dont need a preamp.

3. The wifi function is more stable with Yamaha wxc50 - If one uses WiiM pro with ethernet there is no problems at all.

4. The Yamaha is built like a highend streamer with a very nice metal case - WiiM pro looks good but feels plastic.

5. My Rega Dac R sounds slightly better to my ears than the inbuilt dac in WiiM pro . This is my subjective opinion about this - I have no measurements to back this up. I one want really good sound - use an external dac.

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
Update because I have bought a WiiM pro , and sold my Yamaha wxc50.

1. Sound quality using an external dac is better using the WiiM pro than using a bluesound node or Yamaha wxc50.
The main reason for this is the PEQ function thats both transparent sounding and makes your speakers sound better than without PEQ.

2. The digital preamp with volume regulation in WiiM pro is better sounding than the wxc50 . Its clearly audible.
This is a very nice option because you also get good sounding digital volume regulation from spdif out to an external
Dac. You dont need a preamp.

3. The wifi function is more stable with Yamaha wxc50 - If one uses WiiM pro with ethernet there is no problems at all.

4. The Yamaha is built like a highend streamer with a very nice metal case - WiiM pro looks good but feels plastic.

5. My Rega Dac R sounds slightly better to my ears than the inbuilt dac in WiiM pro . This is my subjective opinion about this - I have no measurements to back this up. I one want really good sound - use an external dac.
if it is to use the internal dac, you must clearly use a pro "plus" and not a wiim pro...

trigovina

Is there anyone who use Denon Heos Link HS2 and can compare with wiim pro? How is the mobile app of Denon?

graystreet

Is there anyone who use Denon Heos Link HS2 and can compare with wiim pro? How is the mobile app of Denon?
I have HEOS on my Devon AVR and the app is in my opinion terrible as a music streaming control center. I'd much prefer to use the native streaming service's app instead.

cce32

Forum Donor
Current systems are a Denon AVR for HT, and a WiiM Pro Plus for my 2 channel setup in a nearby room.

If I want to add whole house audio to play the same music during the occasional party, option #1 seems to be the consensus?

1. Add a WiiM to the HT (which DAC I use would determine which streamer?)
2. Replace the stereo WiiM with a Denon HS2 which doesn't have a remote so yuck on usability and probably a DAC downgrade?
3. Figure out how to get the AVR zone 2 signal 100+ feet to the other room..

I think what @graystreet is saying is that WiiM has XxxConnect so you can stay in the native apps also which the HS2 doesn't

Did I miss anything?

Thanks

snip3r77

I think the more concern could be the amp part rather than the DAC portion.

it can't power high efficiency speakers

cce32

Forum Donor
Oh, not replacing any amplifiers.
Plan is to connect a new WiiM Mini into my Denon AVR using an optical input for the HT and my WiiM Pro Plus feeds an Apollon amplifier in the 2 channel setup.

Although you do give me an idea, if I want to do a 3rd zone (Garage?) I could get a WiiM AMP ...

Top Bottom