• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is using monitor speakers possible in my tiny bedroom?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Personally, but this is a very personal thing, I am averse to pumping deeper bass into small rooms. This excites room modes at much higher frequencies than in larger rooms, and room modes at these higher frequencies are more unpleasant. At the same time, equalizing at higher frequencies only works for narrower and narrower listening positions, the higher you go. If the choice is between boomy bass and less bass, I prefer the latter.
Absolutely. It's a matter of taste. The trick is to make it work in practice. You can have both. Connect the subwoofer when you want some electro, disco party in the room. Although it will be a bit to do if it is worth doing? You can always, if you have EQ / tone controls turn on the bass when you then feel like it.

Also, I do not know what kind of music mushjoon is listening to.:)

Edit:
Mushjoon: ...since I won't be blasting Entombed at 2AM unlike some degenerates who sometimes play loud hiphop music at 3AM..

Aha, sorry. I missed it. Forget my suggestions.:)

Neighbors I just say...

Although you can have a lot of fun with your neighbors.:D

Last edited:

Rip City Dave

View attachment 169373
View attachment 169374

Hi everyone, I'm trying to mix my songs in my tiny bedroom.
Is mixing with monitor speakers a viable option in this room?

Sorry for the bad drawing, but here are the approximate measurements of my room:
L: 280cm (110") W: 250cm (98.4") H: 240cm (94").

I typed the measurements into Bob Gold's Room Mode Calculator and this is what I got (if it helps with anything):
Room Dimensions: Length=2.8 m, Width=2.5 m, Height=2.4 m
Room Ratio: 1 : 1.04 : 1.16

The wall behind me and the sliding door to the balcony is covered with thick curtains.
The walls are made of cements not bricks.

Constraint: I cannot move my bed as it already takes half of my room and will block both doors if I move it to other position.

Can I mix with speakers here or should I just stick to mixing with headphones instead?

If it's ok to mix with speakers, what size should I get for this kind of room? What kind of basic acoustic treatment should I install for my room?

Thank you in advance!
You have big ears.

OP
M

mushjoon

Amir reviewed LP-6v1 (pref score 5.1), while I'm showing the improved LP-6v2 (pref score 5.9).
Spinorama (and preference score) of Kali LP-6v2 is showing us a better designed speaker (flatter on axis, deeper frequency extension, and less resonances than Adam T5V).

But spinorama doesnt take into account the following:
- distortion handling (provided by Amir's 86db and 96db distortion plots) (but keep in mind our interpretation of distortion is much less understood than frequency response, so frequency response is much easier to tell apart)
- power handling (I guess Amir liked T5V's power handling abilities over LP-6v1's)
- directivity handling (both Adam T5V and Kali LP-6v2 are almost equal, with LP-6v2's are slightly wider by ~8 degrees horizontally). Hard to tell then apart, because of how similar they are.

Amir liked the T5V's more than LP-6v1's, but it doesnt mean that LP-6v2's aren't a good monitor, because the spinorama (and preference score) looks a lot better for LP-6v2's compared to LP-6v1.
Ahhhh thanks for the clarification. It's kinda unfortunate how a pair of new T5Vs cost over $500 in Korea. :facepalm:

Also I think Kali's 2nd gen has not made it to Korea yet. So I believe I gotta look for a used JBL 305s or T5Vs.

Do not forget to measure in-room response with REW and equalize below something like 300 Hz with Equalizer Apo (if you are using a PC, there are alternatives for a MAC). Small rooms have room modes at higher frequencies than large rooms.
Yes I'll do that once I get my monitors and able to purchase a calibration mic

If you integrate the sub with full-register speakers, and divide the signal between them, you reduce the risk of driving the amplifier into clipping. Even the full-register speakers will "breathe" easier. If you use an active sub that is. Although it depends on how loud you want to play and what type of music you listen to.:)
The suggestions for speakers in this thread fix bass in your room well. But if you want smaller speakers then ..
I'm also thinking about buying a subwoofer after I save up more money haha

OP
M

mushjoon

Absolutely. It's a matter of taste. The trick is to make it work in practice. You can have both. Connect the subwoofer when you want some electro, disco party in the room. Although it will be a bit to do if it is worth doing? You can always, if you have EQ / tone controls turn on the bass when you then feel like it.

Also, I do not know what kind of music mushjoon is listening to.:)

Edit:
Mushjoon: ...since I won't be blasting Entombed at 2AM unlike some degenerates who sometimes play loud hiphop music at 3AM..

Aha, sorry. I missed it. Forget my suggestions.:)

Neighbors I just say...

Although you can have a lot of fun with your neighbors.:D
Sorry for my passive aggressiveness... Had to vent out some overdue frustration o_O

Odradek

Personally, but this is a very personal thing, I am averse to pumping deeper bass into small rooms. This excites room modes at much higher frequencies than in larger rooms, and room modes at these higher frequencies are more unpleasant. At the same time, equalizing at higher frequencies only works for narrower and narrower listening positions, the higher you go. If the choice is between boomy bass and less bass, I prefer the latter.
Smallish room here, considering adding subs. Your comment left me wondering, how would adding deeper bass with a sub excite room modes at higher frequencies, where the sub has no output? Is there something I am not getting?

Top Bottom