• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is this the future of Hi-Fi?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
... so a streaming soundbar then.
I think he stopped at separate L+R speakers.

One can also be too revolutionary right? :)

Edit: added quote for readability.

Last edited:

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
streaming
Well, this is part of the present, especially with the lossless streaming services.

pair of quality wireless speakers
I mean, why not? If we can losslessly transmit an audio signal, do DSP on speaker, and get great hardware that plays nicely with the room and measures well, the absences of cables isn’t a major issue in my book.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wouldn’t mind getting rid of the AVR entirely, instead having WISA in the TV sending all the signals to active speakers wirelessly. Using mics to calibrate and correct latencies etc. the new Dynaudio Focus might be on the right path here for such a set up

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It just reinforces the notion that Hi-Fi as a hobby will be dead and people will just buy appliances that make sound and which fit their lifestyle.

It horrifies me just to say that.
PC building is still a hobby, you never know...

Expanding products like the LS50 wireless II to multichannel is something that I'd like. What I hope too is that in cases like those, the tinkering with parameters is increased too. I think that prospect of not being able to tinker is what (rightfully!) scare you.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not need a crystal ball to know that streaming and wireless are the "future". But it will take a long time for the transition.
Why? It's happening. Sonos has been at the forefront. Traditionnal audio companies better follow or upstarts shall replace them..

Had I known the video was from Darko, I would not have clicked it :(. I stopped it once I saw it was him...ooof!
Peace.

delta76

Major Contributor
Why? It's happening. Sonos has been at the forefront. Traditionnal audio companies better follow or upstarts shall replace them..

Had I known the video was from Darko, I would not have clicked it :(. I stopped it once I saw it was him...ooof!
Peace.
I don't really count Sonos as true HiFi - but well the definition is different from person to person. Serious speakers like Kef LS50 Wireless and LS60 W are still a very small percentage in the market.
I did not say it is not happening. But we are still far off from a future where wireless speakers are dominant, or at least, popular

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I don't really count Sonos as true HiFi - but well the definition is different from person to person. Serious speakers like Kef LS50 Wireless and LS60 W are still a very small percentage in the market.
I did not say it is not happening. But we are still far off from a future where wireless speakers are dominant, or at least, popular
They can definitely push the compromises of conventional passive speakers, that is a clear advantage. We just need Kef to give us a multichannel easy solution and room EQ for a set like that.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I think the main challenge to overcome is that most speaker companies are not software wizzards. And most probably have only a small group of people concerned with electronics. Try to convert that into an integrated hifi solution and I know for sure they need outside consultation to make a product like this. Stereo hifi is doable as proven by kef but multichannel wireless is a step too far for most companies, I suspect.

Wisa has been there for years but I don't see many products that have it. I know B&O have but most others settle for airplay and chromecast over wifi. Which is probably another reason why it isn't catching on with multichannel.

The price of upgrading B&O speakers to wireless wisa for a stereo pair is 800 euros iirc. Checked and confirmed: 400 for the source transmitter, 200 per receiver (1 per speaker). Max number of speakers is 8, which amounts to 400 + (8×200)= 2000,- euros to go fully wireless. That is an amount must people would not consider imo.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Future is now only streaming is lacking.
Take for example Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro (disclaimer; this is not discussion about IEM's or God forbid BT). A SoC on SoM with pretty much everything (analog and digital part including general purpose CPU, DSP, ADC, DAC, AMP... COM modules) integrated that's much smaller than small fingers nail.
When I said lacking I ment it's propetry form which makes integration chain (for audio processing of course) from ruff to impossible.
Don't fall down for cheap futuristic stories that even snake wouldn't milk.
People should insist on analog inputs on analog devices (basically all audio transceivers). At least that's my opinion.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Emphasis is mine...

The knee-jerk reaction that many audiophiles have toward the so-called lifestyle audio products: we reject them. We need data and it would show that (some) SONOS are measurably "good"..
Proof.. here from @napilopez, whom I haven't seen lately (where are you bruv?:))

Sonos Roam Portable Speaker: Spinorama and measurements (more proof mainstream speakers can be real good)

This is quite good in my book...

There are other ASR threads, where SONOS products are measured. The thing is that we , the audiophiles, quickly lose interest .... because, after all, it is only SONOS. I have a BEAM in my bedroom and I am at times, surprised on how good this little piece of plastic sound ... Yeah.. I know, subjective, but the data shows they, SONOS, are unto something. truePLay works.

BTW the same dismissal from us, audiophiles, is at play for B&O products. Some B&O audio speakers, namely the Beolab 90, the Beolab 50 and the Beolab 5, to mention only those 3, will thoroughly "wipe the floor", accuracy-wise with many of our audiophiles darlings speakers... And they would do it, while looking goooood :cool:

Same for Devialet speakers. I, think however, there is data to back me up,: Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review, that Devialet electronics (amplifers) are overrated, and way too expensive for what they provide

Conclusions , some of those mainstream products, in particular SONOS are good to excellent. It is a mistake we , audiophiles often make to reject a product without data.

Peace.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
It just reinforces the notion that Hi-Fi as a hobby will be dead and people will just buy appliances that make sound and which fit their lifestyle.

It horrifies me just to say that.
I'm gradually having to accept this scenario, but there'll be a lot of 'stuff' to move on first.

B&O have been doing this for decades with slim active speakers perfect for fitting discretely into wealthier living spaces, the audio 'hub' driving them evolving as the tech has come along (I've lost touch now with current models).

DudleyDuoflush

Forum Donor
Emphasis is mine...

The knee-jerk reaction that many audiophiles have toward the so-called lifestyle audio products: we reject them. We need data and it would show that (some) SONOS are measurably "good"..
Proof.. here from @napilopez, whom I haven't seen lately (where are you bruv?:))

Sonos Roam Portable Speaker: Spinorama and measurements (more proof mainstream speakers can be real good)

This is quite good in my book...

There are other thread where in ASR SONOS products are measured. The thing is that we , the audiophiles, quickly lose interest .... because, after all, it is only SONOS. I have a BEAM in my bedroom and I am at times surprised on how good this little piece of plastic sound ... Yeah.. I know, subjective but the data shows they, SONOS, are unto something. truePLay works.

BTW the same dismissal from us, audiophiles, is at play for B&O products. Some B&O audio speakers, namely the Beolab 90, the Beolab 50 and the Beolab 5, to mention only those 3, will thoroughly "wipe the floor", accuracy-wise with many of our audiophiles darlings speakers... And they would do it, while looking goooood :cool:

Same for Devialet speakers. I, think however, there is data to back me up,: Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review, that Devialet electronics (amplifers) are overrated, and way too expensive for what they provide

Conclusions , some of those mainstream products, in particular SONOS are good to excellent. It is a mistake we , audiophiles often make to reject a product without data.

Peace.
I have Sonos and old B&O. I like both. Sonos Trueplay really works. Turned a horrible muddy mess into something that is really listenable.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'm gradually having to accept this scenario, but there'll be a lot of 'stuff' to move on first.

B&O have been doing this for decades with slim active speakers perfect for fitting discretely into wealthier living spaces, the audio 'hub' driving them evolving as the tech has come along (I've lost touch now with current models).
If you get the performance of KEF actives, I'd only ask for a bit more customization. Those systems really sound good.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
If you get the performance of KEF actives, I'd only ask for a bit more customization. Those systems really sound good.
Do you mean something similar to what genelec has with room compensation?
Or adding any number of wireless speakers with eq and expect the eq to give a great result?
If the second I expect more from the likes of Sonos. Or maybe a Chinese startup. IIRC Sonos already has a 5.1 wireless setup. Would be fun to measure those.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Do you mean something similar to what genelec has with room compensation?
Or adding any number of wireless speakers with eq and expect the eq to give a great result?
If the second I expect more from the likes of Sonos. Or maybe a Chinese startup. IIRC Sonos already has a 5.1 wireless setup. Would be fun to measure those.
Yeah, something like Genelec but perhaps based on more mainstream Dirac or Audyssey.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
This is not his main point.

What he does in the video is to present the ‘issue’ of the traditional multi-box audio setup, followed by a ten step imaginary process of transforming this into a future-fi system as he sees it. With every step something gets integrated into something else, to eventually end up at a pair of streaming wireless active speakers.

I think this piece of the transcript summarises it nicely.

View attachment 219846

Etc etc…

Plus this final thought.

View attachment 219847

Hope this helps anyone who (like me) struggles to sit out the entire video.
We need an app that does this to every mortarforking* video that could be expressed in a 200 word paragraph, spiced with a couple of photos or graphs that currently takes up bandwidth on the freaking interwebs!

:)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not the future, for most people it has been the present of audio for several years. The holdouts are hi-fi enthusiasts but the bulk of the audio market went that way years ago.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This is not his main point.

What he does in the video is to present the ‘issue’ of the traditional multi-box audio setup, followed by a ten step imaginary process of transforming this into a future-fi system as he sees it. With every step something gets integrated into something else, to eventually end up at a pair of streaming wireless active speakers.

I think this piece of the transcript summarises it nicely.

View attachment 219846

Etc etc…

Plus this final thought.

View attachment 219847

Hope this helps anyone who (like me) struggles to sit out the entire video.
Thanks. I struggle to sit through any video.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The future of Hi-Fi will be an LED screen like speaker, where there is an amalgamation of very tiny little transducers and a complex network between them.

The surface area of the whole speaker will change depending on what frequency is being played.

This is just a streamlined version of what we already had the last 10-20 years.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The future? The 'future' started with the Walkman, and personal headphones. Now moved on to cell phones. Who even needs a stereo system? Who even needs interpersonal interaction? None of that will be necessary.

I think the future will consist of small earbuds people can wear, along with 3D glasses. Actually that is kind of happening, now. And now isn't even in the future. Allowing folks to navigate their environment without getting run over, while at the same time providing novel aural/visual stimulation. So many possibilities. Citizens will experience the thrill of being the star of their own 'virtual' music video, as they walk down the street.

Of course human interaction in the future will be minimized to about zero, but let's face it, even today, right now (which will become the past, in the future), there is not much need to interact, mano y mano. You won't actually need to meet in order to show off your non fungible hi-fi tokens. All that will be done virtually.

Not like in the old days, when you'd invite your neighbor over for a beer, in order to let him demo your new stereo. Let him play with the tone controls, and possibly adjust the volume. Think about that for moment..., no one is going to be interested in auditioning someone else's earbuds. How unhygienic. Besides, even in the present (which has not yet become the future, but will, once it becomes the past), most people don't know (or are afraid to know) their neighbor. Just imagine how it will be in the real future?

Next, the future of hi-fi will be interaural bio-implants. Followed by direct connection to organic brain processes... that kind of tech will no doubt be able to mimic a full 360 degree soundfield. However, kick you in the gut, Death Star exploding bass notes will be more problematic to reproduce. You can't just inject that kind of SPL into a neural network through medical grade plastic tubing. I'm guessing that pods will have to be programmed to vibrate, accordingly.

Not sure how in the future they will be able to fit a record player into your pod. What with the vinyl resurgence, and all that.

matrix.jpg

Top Bottom