• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is this good idea for diffuser?

Damian.DJ

This is a 3mm hardboard, flexible enough to bend to this form. Would this work well at the back of the room, covering doors that are in the middle of the room? Should I place inside some mineral wool. Thank you for all your opinions.

Attachments

• DSC_0396.JPG
    DSC_0396.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0394.JPG
    DSC_0394.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0395.JPG
    DSC_0395.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 69

raindance

Major Contributor
This would not be a diffuser except perhaps for high frequencies, but it would have unpredictable behavior. If you fill it with mineral wool it will be a limited bandwidth absorber for low-ish frequencies. An example of a diffuser below:

diffuser-b2-fractal-solid1-w1366.jpg

OP
D

Damian.DJ

Great looking one. I got my idea after this example. Price of my one is 30x lower but I am not sure if I can get same results.

Attachments

• CGI_polyEU_Margins.png
    CGI_polyEU_Margins.png
    557.3 KB · Views: 35

Speedskater

Major Contributor
The ones in the first poet are:
polycylindrical diffusers
Probably the most common type of diffuser over the last 75 years.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
If you are going to do something that "big & drastic" I'd recommend getting a measurement mic and measuring before & after.

I'm NOT an acoustic expert but my "intuition" tells me that you don't need such a big radius... I don't think you can effectively diffuse low frequencies (long wavelengths) in a small room. It should be OK to make it big (height & width) to minimize the flat surface area in the room. (Again mostly intuition.)

kiwifi

This is a 3mm hardboard, flexible enough to bend to this form. Would this work well at the back of the room, covering doors that are in the middle of the room? Should I place inside some mineral wool. Thank you for all your opinions.
No reason why they shouldn't work. Remember that you need to be at least a couple of meters away from the diffuser to get to the benefit.

Top Bottom