• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there such a thing as a "digital preamp"? (for audio PC's)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
My system is set up so that my speakers are fully active, with each driver having its own channel of power amplification, and its own DAC channel. The playback and convolution are done in the PC, and the output is sent to an 8 channel DAC. The crossover is designed in Acourate, with the driver correction and room correction baked into the crossover filters which are loaded into the convolution engine.

For a long time I have wanted a "digital preamp" which has the following features:

1. Ability to switch digital inputs, e.g. from the media player playing local files, to web based streaming services (e.g. Youtube Music, Idagio, Netflix, etc), to outboard digital inputs (e.g. TV via TOSLink or DAP via USB), etc. At the moment I am using ASIO to route the signals around, and every time I want to switch a digital input I have to open a few control panels to change the routing. It is the computer equivalent of swapping cables and it's annoying.

2. It must host an 8 channel convolution engine.

3. ISO226 volume control

4. Tablet remote control so I don't have to walk to the PC every time I want to do something simple like change the volume. Or if not a tablet remote control, at least a universal remote control via Bluetooth or IR.

Is anybody aware of such software? Is it possible to automate the above with macros, and is there a way that these macros can be made to be controlled by an external remote?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
You are close to the point where pro gear may be your best direction. This begins to sound like a mixer core with control panel. This is the sort of thing DHD produce.

Davide

Acourate Convolver can do points 2, 3 and 4.

To switch the sources (apps) the issue is more complex... in theory a WDM to ASIO bridge allows you to play whatever you want without switching anything, it's system wide.

Top Bottom