• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

is there something wrong with my KEF R3 or room or equipment?

oslius

hi guys ,

just listen to this first (kef r3 vs heco victa 702) and try to tell me if there is something wrong with KEF R3 as for me it's very listening fatigue? after that you can read what i tried and not. i know it's recorded with phone mic, anyway the differences are there. for me heco towers sounds like the sound pressure it's flat and KEF has a lot of pressure spikes like going back and forth (like someone continuously changing the volume while listening). i'm having them from more than 2 weeks but I can't get used with ...

setup: nad c326 (2x50W) + cambridge dacmagic 100
room: 4x6m, the speakers are on the 4m wall side. a lot of furniture, rugs, curtains, some paints on the side walls, there is no much echo in this room

what i did:

• positioning both on depth and distance between them (although i don't have a lot of space to play with)
  • EQ the lows (manually from player software, not DIRAC or other stuff like that)
  • blocking the rear ports
  • checking the cables for phase
what i can't do:
  • room correction
  • bass traps
  • change the amp & the DAC (only if it worth)

thank you

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hi guys ,

just listen to this first (kef r3 vs heco victa 702) and try to tell me if there is something wrong with KEF R3 as for me it's very listening fatigue? after that you can read what i tried and not. i know it's recorded with phone mic, anyway the differences are there. for me heco towers sounds like the sound pressure it's flat and KEF has a lot of pressure spikes like going back and forth (like someone continuously changing the volume while listening). i'm having them from more than 2 weeks but I can't get used with ...

setup: nad c326 (2x50W) + cambridge dacmagic 100
room: 4x6m, the speakers are on the 4m wall side. a lot of furniture, rugs, curtains, some paints on the side walls, there is no much echo in this room

what i did:

• positioning both on depth and distance between them (although i don't have a lot of space to play with)
  • EQ the lows (manually from player software, not DIRAC or other stuff like that)
  • blocking the rear ports
  • checking the cables for phase
what i can't do:
  • room correction
  • bass traps
  • change the amp & the DAC (only if it worth)

thank you
-Maybe make sure you aren't aiming the speakers at you which should reduce the highs. Listening maybe 10 deg off axis I think is what I recall from Erin's review. Amir and Erin both noted they have a bit too much treble
-If you can use your software to eq the lows, how about a simple shelf filter if your software is able to starting around 1k or 2k of maybe around -2dB or -3dB

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have a measurement microphone to take some measurements with? That could tell us the differences you are hearing much better than a phone recording.

radix

Major Contributor
The 702s are a more full-range speaker, so they likely have more lows (at least by specs). Blocking the ports on the R3 likely makes this worse, as that attenuates the lows. I do hear that difference in your two recordings.

Also, make sure the the knobs on the back are rotated clockwise for single wire (not biwire/biamp). Could be you put the wires on the high/mid range and then nothing on the woofer if the knob is the wrong way.

Reactions: GDK
Top Bottom