• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there review of Revel Salon 2?

laidick

Forum Donor
As quite a few people here has Salon 2, as well as Amir of course.
I wonder if there will be measurement review anytime soon ?

Thanks.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering the very small Klippel pedestal used for testing speakers a test of the Salon 2 is probably not coming anytime soon.
Height 53.3" (135.4 cm)
Width 14" (35.6 cm)
Depth 23" (58.4 cm)
Weight 146 lb (66.3 kg) Shipping weight 178 lb (80.7 kg)

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
Haha , that's true given the size and weight of this beast....
Thanks all

YSC

Major Contributor
Haha , that's true given the size and weight of this beast....
Thanks all
As some internet geeks who only fuel the flames....

I trust on Amirm's back and arms, on video he looks not too far from Arnold Schwarzenegger;)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Considering the very small Klippel pedestal used for testing speakers a test of the Salon 2 is probably not coming anytime soon.
Height 53.3" (135.4 cm)
Width 14" (35.6 cm)
Depth 23" (58.4 cm)
On top of the weight and size, these things are super slippery and of course delicate. If they had a few handles, it would be easy to move them around. But they they are, it is darn near impossible. I had a company provide white glove service to bring them here.

Reactions: YSC

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On top of the weight and size, these things are super slippery and of course delicate. If they had a few handles, it would be easy to move them around. But they they are, it is darn near impossible. I had a company provide white glove service to bring them here.
Bring the NFS to Harman and then you can do side by side with the same speaker. :p

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Bring the NFS to Harman and then you can do side by side with the same speaker. :p
The only thing worse than Salon 2 to move is the NFS! The thing is like a erector set!!! It comes in nearly pieces you assemble and is super delicate.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Height 53.3" (135.4 cm)
Width 14" (35.6 cm)
Depth 23" (58.4 cm)
Amazing Klippel doesn't have a pedestal for these larger speakers.

Reactions: YSC

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

nerdoldnerdith

The NRC anechoic chamber measurements are probably more line with ASR...Stereophile's measurements are done in a listening room typically, are they not?

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/revel_ultima_salon2/
In-room measurements are close enough at the frequencies of concern for directivity if you want to get a good idea about how the speaker behaves. Klippel measurements should look like the Stereophile measurements above 300Hz, but will have better resolution. The Stereophile graph should let you know that the Salon2 has superb off-axis performance up to about 10,000Hz, after which it isn't particularly important.

708Revfig06.jpg

What's remarkable about these measurements is how flat the response is 90 degrees off axis, showing you how well the Salon2's sculpted baffle controls baffle diffraction. If you look at the measurements of just about any other speaker on Stereophile, 90 degrees off axis is a wavy mess. Even the Revel F228Be has problems:

119Revelfig5.jpg

Last edited:

Tatteredmidnight

Although I am sure I would also be hesitant about moving a $20k pair of slippery monoliths, weighing close to 150lbs each, a pair of anti-slip gloves would probably make this a non-issue. $7 solution (nitrile dipped gloves) for a very expensive problem.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The NRC anechoic chamber measurements are probably more line with ASR...Stereophile's measurements are done in a listening room typically, are they not?
Typically, out of doors on JA's driveway, iirc.

Top Bottom