• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there real improvements using pre amp in a cheap (he400i/he400se) headphone?

ABH

Just messing around the inputs and outputs, between E30, L30 and SP100. Noticed sound improvement when using E30>L30>SP100. Tried E30>sp100>L30 - not much, infact overall sound volume reduced significantly.
Any comments?

threni

Major Contributor
Objectively: There's not much to say, given the lack of a description of how you tested it; what "noticed sound improvement and "not much" means, whether the volume was reduced to the point that it was too quiet vs just having to turn it up a little, etc.
Subjectively: Go with what sounds best for you. It's your system, after all!

OP
A

ABH

Agreed 100%. sorry, one clear difference is "my father's eyes - Eric Clapton, unplugged". Those snaps of drum stick running thorughout the song sound totally different everytime I change the sequence: E30>L30 : clean, sharp,"stick hitting edge of drum frame" E30>L30>SP100: rounder, and there's a 'ringing' as the stick hits... and there's more separation of each instrument and the sound more precise... did volume matching... I thought I was imagining it but when repeated, there is always some difference. Now I am itching to try a preamp-amp setup or even try balanced amp/cables...hahaha...this is dangerous

threni

Major Contributor
Is there any way you can get someone else perform the switching (between system config) without you knowing which is which? That would rule out annoying psychological effects. I'm unsure how much effort you should spend with cables; in a headphone system they're unlikely to be holding you back, unless faulty, and unless you would get more volume from balanced cables (I've never used them but it's what I've read).

OP
A

ABH

Yeah..I thought so too, so I am planning to get a switch so that I can change the outputs to the HP.When I was younger, I always thought that those expensive pre-power amp combo are only useful when you have higher end outputs HP/speakers, so I never thought that I could detect a difference in my cheap setup. I used to biwire my speakers (Mission 735SE) about 20 years ago, and I still can hear some difference when using single cable. Rejoining the hobby this time using headphones, I thought the same concept of biwiring and biamping would apply to HP in balanced cables and dual-mono amps.

Top Bottom