• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there anyone who has experienced NCDV amplifier from NewClassD ?

Harry

Hello I'm a newbie here, and learning a lot of thing about class D amplifier these days reading forums.

Once I have heard that NCDV S2 power amp was as good as Hypex NC400. But there was no information about it in this forum, that's why I started this thread.

It is of course class D amp, but one of its characteristics of NCDV S2 seems to be its wider frequency range compared to nc400.

Part of its spec:

Frequency range -3dB 8 Ohms : 2-160.000 Hz
Frequency range -3dB 4 Ohms : 2-80.000 Hz

https://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=172&hv=1

It seems that NCDV S2 use higher sampling frequency.

https://www.newclassd.com/

I want to talk about this unique class D amplifier.

D

Deleted member 65

Specs seems good, a bit sceptical since they describe their resistors like this:

”This version is equipped with Audio Note (R) Tantalum Resistors

The measured technical precision may be less than Holco and Welwyn, but the musicality is crazy. The depth perspective is holographic, and the bass has details, never heard before with other types of audio resistors. These are by far the best sounding resistors we have tested. ”

OP
H

Harry

Specs seems good, a bit sceptical since they describe their resistors like this:

”This version is equipped with Audio Note (R) Tantalum Resistors

The measured technical precision may be less than Holco and Welwyn, but the musicality is crazy. The depth perspective is holographic, and the bass has details, never heard before with other types of audio resistors. These are by far the best sounding resistors we have tested. ”

Good point. I hope in someday this amp to be reviewed by an expert to see the actual objective performance especially compared to Nc400 and Purifi.

Zoomer

Can't comment on the technical merits, but hopefully our tech experts can:
An old thread on diyaudio in which Lars Klausen discusses his V2 design.
And some explainer of the upcoming v3 on this facebook page.

OP
H

Harry

Can't comment on the technical merits, but hopefully our tech experts can:
An old thread on diyaudio in which Lars Klausen discusses his V2 design.
And some explainer of the upcoming v3 on this facebook page.
Thanks for the good information. I'll visit the forum and read articles.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
On their page, I smell a lot of BS. And the performance is not that great from the graph. Power output is pretty high, that's for sure. But 1W and 40W performance is just mediocre at best. Nowhere near the nc400, purify territory.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On their page, I smell a lot of BS. And the performance is not that great from the graph. Power output is pretty high, that's for sure. But 1W and 40W performance is just mediocre at best. Nowhere near the nc400, purify territory.

But those resistors sound so sweet!

Matthew

I cannot comment on the comparison to Hypex amps but have V1 NCDX and in an informal side-by-side listening comparison with commercially available amps the NCDV easily competed with amps costing as much as $8000 (retail in Australia). May even do better - we ran out of amps to compare it to :)
Very happy with mine given it cost a fraction of that price! I should also mention the customer service was also very good.

Last edited:

cras

I have a pair of NCDV S3 modules build as a pair of mono blocks.

My route to these amps went through Aragon 8008x3, a NewClassD 2010 module amp, Primare A34.2 and some NADs before those. I also use a NAD T778 for the surround setup in the same room and have compared to the 140W hypex amps in the surround receiver.

This is my subjective experience of the relative difference between the amps.
I really like how powerful the NCDV 2010 is. The Primare has more detailed resolution in the high frequency range. The Aragon is a good compromise, not as powerful and fast in the low frequencies as the NCDV 2010 and not as detailed as the Primare.
When I upgraded the source to Denafrips components I wanted the best of the combinations and found it with the NCDV S3 high speed. No grainyness in the top as the 2010 modules and lots of beefyness and power.

This is the complete stereo chain at the moment.
intel NUC hosting a roon core outputting through Dirac Live to the USB port, Denafrips Iris, Denafrips Ares ii, NewClassD mono amps with S3 High Speed modules, Revel F208
Good cables but nothing special.

Top Bottom