• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there any rhyme or reason to the names of audio products?

stalepie

Or the names of many different electronics, as well as their components.

I've often wondered. For instance, FiiO Q1 Mark II looks pretty good, but why is it called Mark II instead of Q2?

The PCM5102A DAC is common, but if it's a revision of the first one, why didn't they call it the PCM5102B?* And does "5102" mean anything? Was there a 5101? Will there be a 5103?

With Sony product codes I get the sense they intentionally use combinations of numbers and letters that seem to sound cool or perhaps give off an air of mystery. The "Sony TA-ZH1ES" has a certain strong, impenetrable but mysterious quality to it, perhaps. But not very "cool." For "cool" Sony I would go with the ones like "EX650" (which they have used for both an earphone and at least one TV) and "V6" which sounds very cool, because Vs are cool, and so are 6s, like Nexus 6 from Blade Runner and Google.

So does marketing decide this thing or engineers? How does it work in a company?

Sometimes companies choose boring and obvious names -- did I just answer my question by calling them "boring"? Well boring can be nice. Boring can also be called honest and straightforward, "no BS." like Topping D30 for DAC and A30 for amplifier, although I'm not sure if there was a 20, or if there could be a 35 or a 25, and so forth.

I get the sense many companies start kind of in the middle with their product codes and then work around it haphazardly depending on demand, success, changes in prices of parts that end up affecting what new products they'll make. They can't plan too far ahead (although Schiit has seemed to admirably with their Norse mythology ), so they have to work around various numbers and letters they've used so far.

It might can come off bad, too, if an expensive product has a simpler code name than their less expensive products. So for FiiO, they use "A1" to describe one of their simplest and cheapest amplifiers, but others get special names like Alpen and Kilimanjaro (although with the normal product code, which is still pretty simple, but I still don't know what they mean or why the numbers were chosen, like E17). Maybe actually it was sequential after all and I just don't realize it... like E17 was their 17th product.

(On the other hand, starting over with simple product names can have a clean slate / rebooting effect, meaning a new standard, like Sony MDR-1R, Sony A1E, Sony Z1R, etc. Sorry if I seem to be picking on Sony. I pick on them because I love them).

But it's like this in any electronics, or in cars and all sorts of stuff.

I kind of like how CEntrance has sort of dorky-cool names like Dacportable and Dacport Slim (as someone on Reddit joked, the latter will be a name he gives himself when he becomes a rapper one day). At leas they're English and easy to type. That's more than can be said for many of Sony's products. But why is the "E" in their name capitalized? Or what does "CEntrance" even mean? Central entrance? It's nice that it's easy to find in search results, though, so maybe that's the point.

I guess it's hard to come up with new product names and codes that aren't used for other things. They have to be unique. And it's a random process. But obviously some of those letter and number combinations aren't so random.

Earlier on in this audiophile exploration I've been doing I got hooked on wanting a "Wolfson" DAC just because I thought the name sound good. Heh, it sounded kind of "warm" like so often described with those DACs. Plus Sony used them so I figured they must be good, and Apple (correction: Cirrus Logic) later bought them. But wolves are cool, they like wintery areas...

*I think I see now that they "A" may stand for "Active" (not discontinued).

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well Benchmark did make the DAC 1. Followed by the DAC 2 and currently have moved along to the DAC 3.

Surely whatever DAC you'll want it to use those new AKM DAC chips that feature Velvet Sound don't you? Smooth, soft, warm, and luxurious Velvet Sound.

VTL used to name their amps simply. VTL 100 meant a mono 100 watt amp. A VTL 75/75 was a 75 watt stereo amp. Suppose it might have gotten out of hand if they had ever made a 5 channel amp. It would have been the VTL 75/50/75/50/50. Would really become a problem for a 13 channel Atmos ready unit.

Bob Carver at one time made the Carver Receiver, Carver Tuner, and Carver Pre-amp.

I never liked Blaupunkt for using city names. You had the Seattle, the Berlin, the Stockholm, the Buenos Aires, Bremen and some others. Which one is the better one. Is the Buenos Aires a better radio than the Seattle? How would you know?

Still none of it is as bad as Ford trucks. They now have 7 basic models, down from 11 a few years ago. Was helping a relative figure out what he wanted in one 4 years back. Not only 11 models, but various options in each and packages of options some of which one package deleted or nixed some others. It was incredibly complicated. A dealer with 200 trucks literally would not have two with the exact same equipment. I told the salesman there had to be thousands of possible combinations. He informed me in sales training they were told there were over 29,000 ways to equip a Ford F150.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Or the names of many different electronics, as well as their components.

I've often wondered.
Me, too. But then, I decide that it is a waste of time to do so because, afaik, there is NO* point to it. All marketing and applies to most other products beyond audio.

*necessary edit!

Last edited:
OP
S

stalepie

ehhh, I agree about the options, but "Ford F-150" has a good sound to it. It rolls off the tongue well. (more so than "250")

Velvet sound, I don't know... I might think of Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet when I think of that word :/ Kind of ruins it for me.

Actually, no, the velvet sound pages for AKM's recent products did have an influence on me in choosing various DAC/amps to buy. When I know so little about the electrics, and don't know whether the specs are to be trusted, I often have little to go buy besides appearances and descriptions.

But I'm left thinking, of course, if it is to deliver accurate sound, how can it necessarily be smooth? The recording may be quite ugly. Does the Velvet architecture pretty this up, no matter how it's implemented, no matter which filter is used? It took me a while to realize digital filters are not trying to alter the original sound, but remove noise that interferes with it... or something. Something about "pre-ringing" and that stuff. I don't really understand. It doesn't help that whenever I read what others say they admit to not being able to tell the difference from one filter to the next. Then I wonder if the DAC designers can even tell the difference. But I guess they can with their equipment. They can measure the differences.

Anyway, back on topic, "EX" and "X" sound like "SEX," so those letters are chosen more often. Early with Sony earphones, they had their "NUDE" line, which featured a bit of skin in some of the European advertising, if I remember right. "Z" suggests "end," implying that letters that come before it aren't as advanced or far along in the product spectrum.

When a recognized engineer puts his name to the product, like you mentioned with Bob Carver, or with Andrew Jones, I think you get more a sense (as a customer) that this is a one-time only affair, therefore special, like the Andrew Jones line of Pioneer speakers. Then he went on to work for another company. But when it's numbered, it suggests iteration, that next year will be a better model, and last year's model will decrease in price and be discontinued, which brings with it many other considerations. It might imply too, with iteration, that the company is always on the cusp of what's the latest, trying hard to improve with each release. Some seem to trip over themselves this way like Astell&Kern, creating a bit of confusion along the way over which product trumps the last.

But yeah Benchmark's way is very admirable. I forgot about that, despite reading an article from them yesterday and still having the tab open.

OP
S

stalepie

"Xelento" sounds pretty cool, I guess. Or alien. I'm surprised Beyer was able to snag that one before it was used for a new pharmaceutical product or retro video game that harkens back to the days of Galaxian and Xevious. Pretty zune we will have to stop with Latin-derived words and letters altogether.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abecedarium
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudian_letters

hmm... obsolete letters, eh... I guess there will always be plenty more to mine for creative use.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How about company names? I'll avoid the most obvious but start here,
Mola Mola, you name a audio company after a big fish? o_O:confused:

OP
S

stalepie

Never even heard of them

What does FiiO mean?

OP
S

stalepie

"Fiio" kind of reminds me of "Filo," that guy from "UHF" (Weird Al). I love that guy. Maybe they have a guy like that working at FiiO.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I have pondered on the Mitsubishi Starion car name. Was it deliberate or a mispronunciation. Mitsubishi says it is a contraction of The Star Of Orion.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What does FiiO mean?

"The brand name FiiO is composed of Fi(fidelity from HiFi) and iO(number 1&0),
representing the real feeling and convenient life that digital brings to life. Meanwhile,
the Chinese “飞傲” is the transliteration of FiiO, indicating the positive and innovative
spirit as thriving as spring."

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO/

Wombat

Master Contributor
"The brand name FiiO is composed of Fi(fidelity from HiFi) and iO(number 1&0),
representing the real feeling and convenient life that digital brings to life. Meanwhile,
the Chinese “飞傲” is the transliteration of FiiO, indicating the positive and innovative
spirit as thriving as spring."

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO/

Ray, you are wasted on this forum. :rolleyes:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor
OP: NO!

Wombat

Master Contributor
OP. I still think the answer is NO!!

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
DENAFRIPS

D-ynamic
E-xquisite
N-atural
A-ttractive
F-idelity
R-efined
I-ntoxicating
P-ure
S-ophisticated

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Unfortunately both started as nouns but now used as adjectives.
Keith

Top Bottom