• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there any point to getting the SMSL M400, when there is the Su-9n and DO100?

simplywyn

There are several M400's on the used market, and I remember watching a few youtube videos that the M400 were giant killers. However, since M400 was released, we've had a slew of new releases for example the Su-9n (I have this one) and the DO-100. All of which measure amazingly, and are around the $200CAD to $300CAD range.

The used M400 are going for around $750 which means I can buy 3 DO-100's or SU-9n's to fill my house with great sound or just fill one external player with sound.

Currently I have the Denafrips Ares II, and the Su-9n, and switching them around, I like the SU-9n better than the Ares. There's another topping laying around the house I will try to A/B test that one out but as far as DACs, I feel like we've hit top end now at only around $300 rather than the original $1000+ I had to spend.

Any other thoughts on this?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I have the SMSL D300 . It was affordable as well. Sounds great and even does DSD512.
I can't imagine that another DAC would give me a better experience. I would rather throw that money at better headphones, loudspeakers or other stuff.

But if I where looking for something with a nicer case or overall more "interesting" design I would wait for the new AKM chips.

I got the SMSL SP400 headphone amp and the M400 would make a nice match but even at 750 USD( used ) , I feel like that's way to much money for a DAC.

(I do all my upsampling and equilizer, filter stuff in roon.)

raif71

Major Contributor
I have the SMSL D300 . It was affordable as well. Sounds great and even does DSD512.
I can't imagine that another DAC would give me a better experience. I would rather throw that money at better headphones, loudspeakers or other stuff.

But if I where looking for something with a nicer case or overall more "interesting" design I would wait for the new AKM chips.

I got the SMSL SP400 headphone amp and the M400 would make a nice match but even at 750 USD( used ) , I feel like that's way to much money for a DAC.

(I do all my upsampling and equilizer, filter stuff in roon.)
I agree it is still expensive for a used DAC. I have both sp400 and m400. Both of them are in their boxes, unused now. I'm using singxer-sa1 and denafrips ares-II along with gustard p26 preamp. 2 more DACs connected to the preamp are r2r r11 (audio-gd) and gustard x16

alpha_logic

There are several M400's on the used market, and I remember watching a few youtube videos that the M400 were giant killers. However, since M400 was released, we've had a slew of new releases for example the Su-9n (I have this one) and the DO-100. All of which measure amazingly, and are around the $200CAD to $300CAD range.

The used M400 are going for around $750 which means I can buy 3 DO-100's or SU-9n's to fill my house with great sound or just fill one external player with sound.

Currently I have the Denafrips Ares II, and the Su-9n, and switching them around, I like the SU-9n better than the Ares. There's another topping laying around the house I will try to A/B test that one out but as far as DACs, I feel like we've hit top end now at only around $300 rather than the original $1000+ I had to spend.

Any other thoughts on this?
I owned both, the M400 and the 9n; if you like the 9n, chances are you'll love the M400. I would prefer the M400 over the 9n not only in terms of performance, but also because it has I2S.

Top Bottom