• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there any difference between the LCD-24 and LCD-X 2021 after are both equed to the Harman Curve?

LuminousMoth

Hi all, does anyone of you have experience with both the lcd-x and lcd-24?

I was in the market for an LCD-X, I have an HD800s which I EQ to the Harman target and its almost perfect, but I find the sub bass around 30 hz to be insufficient even after eq. I did a tone test with a sine wave at 30 hz and no matter how much I would boost the signal I would barely perceive it, when I tried to do the same thing with the timeless 7hz I could clearly hear the sound.
So I thought maybe the planar driver of the LCD-X that is twice as big could probably give me sufficient and accurate amount even in the low frequencies. Surely enough I saw Amir's review and the LCD-X barely distorts in the low frequencies so I thought here we go, but then out of curiosity I saw the review of the LCD-24 and it was performing even better distortion wise. Audeze says that's because they use an even thinner diaphragm and stronger magnets, but I am not sure if thats just marketing nonsense or if its the reason why the 24 are distorting even less, nonetheless is that difference perceivable when are both equed to the Harman target?

sq225917

Major Contributor
Just buy the one with lower distortion as it'll be better and it'll have more eq opportunity, assuming both models have broadly similar FR.

OP
LuminousMoth

LuminousMoth

Just buy the one with lower distortion as it'll be better and it'll have more eq opportunity, assuming both models have broadly similar FR.
the only thing that kinda worries me is that the 24 has a few dips in the highs compared to the X and I am not sure if thats equable.
index.php

index.php

OP
LuminousMoth

LuminousMoth

I ended up hearing them both and preferred the 24. Now I need to find a math wiz to turn the supplied frequency response from audeze to match it to the harman target.

OP
LuminousMoth

LuminousMoth

S
Funnily I am in a very similar position. I also own the Sennheiser HD 800S and like it a lot, it is just thT the bass after too much EQ distorts sometimes, which is also shown in Amirs measurements. Then I also encountered the measurements of both, the LCD-x (2021) and the LCD-24, and wondered what the difference between the two might be. True, the distortion of the LCD-24 is even lower, but it is already very low for the LCD-X and should be no audible issue, so are there any other signifiant differences (Imaging, soundstage, etc.) ? I mean, the LCD-24 costs 2 times the LCD-X. And the frequeny response is virtually the same (here crinacle's measurements):View attachment 243894
Sound is very subjective, best thing is to try both if you can. When I tried them both I found that the 24's had significantly more wide soundstage and better imaging compared to the X. In fact I was trying to convince myself to like the X more so I could save more money but I liked the 24 more and went for that. In fact the 24 is one of the more unique headphones I have tried, it has a wide soundstage but also sounds close as well, don't know how to describe it.

jae

Major Contributor
Might be worth looking at DCAs cheaper offerings at $500-800, especially if you are planning on EQing.

jae

Major Contributor
While the Aeon RT has relatively low distortion, it is still much more than the Audeze´s, even the Expanse and the Stealth are way above the LCD-X.
Well, the distortion is quite low at normal listening volumes for all of these headphones in general, the question is whether or not anyone would be able to notice one versus the other in the first place. Environmental noise even in a relatively quiet listening environment is already is louder than the marginal differences between these, especially without the attenuation of a closed headphone. DCA distortion in terms of audibility only really starts to reveal itself at higher SPL which is probably not going to be a typical listening scenario for most people, not to mention most of said distortion is in the low end which is virtually inaudible in the first place, even at high levels. RT is a bit worse than Stealth/Expanse in this retard, since it seems the midrage distortion creeps up to about 1% or so at high volume. One thing to consider is that the LCD-X's distortion seems to increases in the subbass where it has a deficit in its response- no telling if EQ in this region will cause worse IMD at higher average volumes that weren't present in the initial measurements and I'd be curious to know. Love the LCD-X but in general I find DCA headphones way more comfortable to wear for longer periods, headband mechanism is way better and actually functional, it's about half the weight of Audeze as well and the $800+ models fold for transport and storage. Many Audeze I tried also have a more pronounced crinkling of the drivers and more seal/suction which I did not like. There is a point where practical considerations should outweigh marginal technical benefits, which I guess is up for the user to decide.

Top Bottom