• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there an audiophile noise canceling headphone?

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Following the Drop THX Panda campaign, where they claim to make a wireless headphone for audiophile sensibilities, I started wondering if there are ANC headphones that can be considered audiophile. Being necessarily closed-back already makes it pretty difficult, but maybe someone gave it a shot none the less.

I recently started experimenting with ANC to see if it's worth it. I bought the Bose QC25 second-hand as a cheap entry point into that field. The NC works pretty well, but the actual sound of the headphones is mediocre at best. I listened to the QC35 a couple times and it's a bit better, but still not on-par with good closed-backs. I doubt the Bose 700 or the Sony wh1000xm3 are significantly better (I listened to them once in the store). The PSB M4U8 from Innerfidelity's WOF also sounded meh, and I haven't tried any of JBL, Sennheiser or Audio-Technica's line up.

My current favorite passive closed back is the Meze 99 Classics. Is there something with ANC that approaches those in sound signature?

bravomail

Reviewers say Sony wh1000xm3 is better in sound department. Sennheiser has PX3. Unless you regularly fly long flights, I don't see a reason for ANC. Closed back headphones will provide reasonable sound isolation for you and people around you (say, on the bus).

Koloth

I've been keeping an eye on the Technics EAH-F70N.
a19051-636942202158611583-450x350-cwhvcenterhcenterbgffffff.jpeg

They have decent experience building headphones now (under both the Technics and Panasonic brands), the headphones seem very well built, support aptx HD and LDAC, and look good to boot. However, all the reviews I could find were of the useless sort: zero measurements and zero comparisons. They did all like the headphones though lol...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have AKG N90Q which even use DSP to correct FR for your ear canal so not only noise cancelling.
They have a luxurious finish too, though probably not robust. I have been happy using them but for convenience something wireless is easier, I have B&W PX too.

cjfrbw

If you are in a noisy enough environment to warrant ANC, then audiophile doesn't matter, even with the ANC. 'Good enough' with high quality of ANC might be a better goal post.

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
I use the Sony in airplanes and they are fantastic for THAT situation. Noise cancelling is good and with the dongle (instead of using them wireless) you get very decent sound. I was into Etymotics, but in situations where you have to remove and insert many times, they become painful. So, it depends on your need. I still think Etys are better sounding and more insulating, but Sonys are much more convenient.

cjfrbw

I did use the original ear muff Sony noise cancelling headphones (which I still use when working around the house) with $90 etymotics underneath for music/movies on a flight once. Worked great. I was amazed at how much the ANC made the airplane trip so much more pleasant. That constant noise does create annoyance and tension.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I have a pair of Sony WH1000XM2 which sound fine to me when out and about on the train and bus. When I bought them they were generally regarded as the best sounding noise cancelling headphones. I haven't really used them much at home without the noise cancelling active and I couldn't really say how 'audiophile' they are. I'm not really a headphone person but they compare well with my AKG K271s and vintage Beyerdynamic DT48s. Make of that what you will! I do find them a bit heavy though.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD Viso HP70 is my current choice for long haul flights. They sound better than HP50 (DSP correction), seal better than HP50 behind the ears (deeper pads), and are just generally excellent.

Alobar

Forum Donor
I like my B&W PX.. Whether they are audiophile or not depends on what they are being compared with. Do they sound as good as my HD 600's? Not really, but for moving around without a cord, I like then fine.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like the sound of my Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 headphones. Not a brand one would normally associate with high end audio but they sound quite pleasing to me. I think they sounded better than my Sennheiser HD598. For comparison I also really enjoy the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros that replaced my Sennheisers. Another plus is that they rank up there with Bose, the recognized leader, for noise cancellation.

Martin

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Bose QC35 IIs have damn good sound to my ears. No EQ necessary. If you are serious about tonal balance and extended FR they are the real deal, IMHO, not to be easily dismissed if you are trying to have a serious discussion (rather than a Bose bashing session). I think they automatically EQ dynamically according to Fletcher-Munson though. Sony WH100 MX3s are definitely a step behind in terms of audio quality, except for the fact that you can EQ them through the firmware to get a better tonal balance. The Sony's have better NR though. I have both.

All IMHO, I'm no expert, I'm not golden ears, I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm not technical, etc.

In the spirit of ASR, here's some reading, with real data, including from @solderdude, I think. Maybe they agree with me, maybe they don't. I didn't check. I shoot from the hip. ; )

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/bose/qc35-ii/

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-st-x/wh-1000x-m3/

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/best/by-feature/active-noise-cancelling

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/quietcomfort-35-ii-qc35-ii-wireless-2018

Last edited:
Top Bottom