• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there an audibly better streamer than Chromecast Audio?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I use Tidal Hifi via App Mconnect for Android with satisfaction
View attachment 68841

Love your music taste! I'm a fan of hers too and have my own MQA CD rip but plays at plays at 88.2 KHz instead of 96 KHz from Tidal

IMG_2004.jpg

OP
G

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Amir's original test was from a Chrome browser, and that is not the correct way to use a CCA, but only a stopgap solution for when there is no dedicated app. Used properly with a correctly designed streaming service specific app there are no sonic issues.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, and the review thread is 22 pages long!

Does that mean streaming directly from Tidal, using the Tidal app on Android, should be as good as using Roon?

OP
G

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Thanks everyone for your responses.

You’ve just cured a bad case of “upgrade-itus”

Plus you resolved a puzzle. I was beginning to think Roon had some sort of capability to make streaming services sound better, rather than just using a direct connection.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are these any good for Spotify?
Only "issue" I had with spotify is that the CCA sometimes not want to let go of the connection from the phone. Only way is to kill is thru the Google Home app. Just a minor problem.

Theriverlethe

I have no problem streaming 24/96kHz FLAC from LMS to the CCA, according a Matrix Mini-I.

Gaboz

The CCA isn't gapless with Spotify; this is a big issue and it needs to be considered. I don't know if there are similar problems with different streaming services.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The CCA isn't gapless with Spotify; this is a big issue and it needs to be considered. I don't know if there are similar problems with different streaming services.
Good to know. I find the inability to do gapless a deal breaker, but it just doesn't bother a lot of people.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Good point, I don't use Spotify only my kids, and I'm only wanted when "Spotify doesn't works daddy....!!!!" as the inhome tech.

SPOautos

If Roon core is on a server, and CCA is attached to my stereo.....Does the server need any special software to connect to the CCA then Roon uses that connection? Or is Roon able to do that all on its own?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If Roon core is on a server, and CCA is attached to my stereo.....Does the server need any special software to connect to the CCA then Roon uses that connection? Or is Roon able to do that all on its own?

Roon does it on its own- as long as the CCA is "enabled" in Roon audio device settings.

Top Bottom