• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there an Audible / Measurable Difference between RCA and 3.5mm Connection?

pma

Major Contributor
3.5mm stereo plugs are available in a captive design in some professional video gear and I have found these to be reliable as well.

This one looks good, indeed. And the price is then adequate, no bargain. I was talking about those usual 3.5mm jacks used in cheap audio toys.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
This one looks good, indeed. And the price is then adequate, no bargain. I was talking about those usual 3.5mm jacks used in cheap audio toys.
I'm surprised that some higher end audio gear hasn't realized these things exist - it would surely be a selling point. The lack of vision in audio amazes me sometimes. :confused:

eric-c

Forum Donor
Another consideration is EM noise. I use the 3.5 mm jack out on my monitor to small desktop amplifier (accepts both 3.5 mm and RCA). I get a buzzing type noise that is clearly audible at low levels through the speakers attached to the desktop amp or using the headphone jack on the same amp. The problem is my work notebook namely the screen. It emits something that is picked up by the 3.5 mm standard cheapie cable (probably just super thin three wires inside the cover). I bought the monoprice premium 3.5mm cable and it would appear that it uses two small coax cables as the conductors which did reduce the buzzing type noise that the previous "thin" cable picked up.

Top Bottom