• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there an app that makes an iOS device act as an airplay receiver?

Rocky2019

I have got a Lighting to USB 3 Camera Adapter with a used iPhone and a USB DAC.
After connecting them like the picture below it works fine, the iphone works as a music source.
I'm wondering if there is an app that can turn the iphone into an Airplay receiver?
I will be happy if this works.
微信截图_20200901164611.png

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hardwired like that I doubt it, but I'd think airplay could act either as transmitter or receiver, I can do that with android stuff but not an apple guy. What would you transmit to the phone with?

SloPoke

Forum Donor
First on the cable,...there are now Lighting to USB (various tips) cables that work with an iPhone/iPad and are a cleaner and cheaper alternative to using an Apple camera adapter. For example, I have a cable that goes from my iPhone to a Chord Mojo and another that goes from an iPad to a USB dac.

Am not expert on your main question,...but it seems that Roon makes possible a lot of what you're wanting to do. I can control Roon with the (Roon) app on my iPhone. I can select the iPhone as the audio device that Roon will play through.

Then, when I play a track it comes out of the iPhone (and would feed a dac if one was connected to the iPhone,...or if iPhone was connected to a bluetooth speaker, that's where the sound would come out, ...or sound could just come out of the iPhone.

This is a screen shot from the Roon app on my iPhone showing a page where you pick where the music will come from - And the iPhone itself is on the list and music comes from the iPhone if its selected here in the Roon app.

Lightning to USB cable (instead of Apple Camera adapter ref'd in another thread...

482A501D-E388-4D60-8A37-0E3B8D1A35E2.png

Last edited:
OP
Rocky2019

Rocky2019

Hardwired like that I doubt it, but I'd think airplay could act either as transmitter or receiver, I can do that with android stuff but not an apple guy. What would you transmit to the phone with?
Using an android stuff is also okay, can you recommend me some apps?
I transmit to the phone with another iphone so that I can listen to online music.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use bubbleupnp and foobar2000 on my android phones, pretty useful. Your iphone you transmit to doesn't have the apps/ability to receive?

OP
Rocky2019

Rocky2019

I use bubbleupnp and foobar2000 on my android phones, pretty useful. Your iphone you transmit to doesn't have the apps/ability to receive?
I forgot one thing that the phone need to have USB output capability so it can use the DAC for decoding.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I forgot one thing that the phone need to have USB output capability so it can use the DAC for decoding.

If your phone transmits digitally only the end device matters for DAC....and generally a non-concern

Taddpole

realdb

I have got a Lighting to USB 3 Camera Adapter with a used iPhone and a USB DAC.
After connecting them like the picture below it works fine, the iphone works as a music source.
I'm wondering if there is an app that can turn the iphone into an Airplay receiver?
I will be happy if this works.
View attachment 80964

A weird question but does the phone charge and also power dac when using USB power in

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've used Airfoil in the past. Inexpensive and easy.

Top Bottom