• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there an AirPlay receiver with digital out?

jordancpa

Thx, will take a look at the Marantz.

I was wondering about XLR out, so that the streamer could feed some active speakers with XLR-inputs.

There are RCA to XLR cables actually. i use a couple of them so I can easily switch sources going to my amp.

GokieKS

A Raspberry Pi-based setup is probably going to be the best (or at least most flexible) option as long as you don't need AirPlay 2. I really wanted it, but after looking through literally every AirPlay 2 supporting device I could find (at least going by the list Apple maintained), I ended up giving up and just built a RPi4 + HiFiBerry DAC+ XLR to use with my LSR305s (which basically requires using a balanced connection to not have to deal with the annoying buzzing). AirPlay (1) works fine, and who knows, maybe something will eventually come out of AirPlay 2 being cracked and we'll see open-source implementations for that too.

Rebelhifi

Forum Donor
I’ve been looking at buying a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless speakers, which famously don’t support AirPlay. This means I either have to downgrade to a pair of KEF LSX (which support it) or go with a different brand alltogether to be able to stream lossless (assuming AirPlay is lossless) audio to the speakers.

One solution that came to mind was to just buy an AirPlay compatible streamer/receiver, like the brilliant Yamaha WXAD-10, but for some strange reason it doesnt offer a digital out (nevermind all the streaming inputs would be digital so there should be no problem offering a digital out). I’ve tried to find a device like the WXAD-10 that does offer digital out (either through USB or optical) but can’t seem to find anything.

I would like to avoid going with analog outputs from the streamer to the speakers because that would only add another conversion step in the chain (since LS50 wireless converts analog signal to digital)

Is there something I’m missing here? Is there some law of nature that prohibits such a device from being realised? Should I just go with a different brand of speakers or wait until KEF releases a v2 of the LS50W with updated protocol support?

I know I am a little late in the reply. I was using the old Airplay 1 with Airport Express and the Remote App using the digital out to stream throughout my home for 12 years. It sent bit prefect stream from my MacPro. I needed to upgrade as everything was being discontinued. I upgraded my airport express - to the new version that support AirPlay 2 on 5 individual systems. 1.) Main: To a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 2.) Home Theater Schitt DAC. 3.) Dacs to 2 outdoor systems and one 3.5 headphone dongle for an outdoor powered speaker (the airport express is outside on a covered porch). While it is not longer bit perfect as it all now comes from an internet stream, it works great! The units are fairly cheap online (I bought two extra spares) and I hope to be set for another 10 years. Also, the airplay 2 is decentralized so my wife finds it much easier to use with the Apple Music Family plan. Let me know if I can help.

napoleo

I know I am a little late in the reply. I was using the old Airplay 1 with Airport Express and the Remote App using the digital out to stream throughout my home for 12 years. It sent bit prefect stream from my MacPro. I needed to upgrade as everything was being discontinued. I upgraded my airport express - to the new version that support AirPlay 2 on 5 individual systems. 1.) Main: To a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 2.) Home Theater Schitt DAC. 3.) Dacs to 2 outdoor systems and one 3.5 headphone dongle for an outdoor powered speaker (the airport express is outside on a covered porch). While it is not longer bit perfect as it all now comes from an internet stream, it works great! The units are fairly cheap online (I bought two extra spares) and I hope to be set for another 10 years. Also, the airplay 2 is decentralized so my wife finds it much easier to use with the Apple Music Family plan. Let me know if I can help.

Another option not mentioned:
I use a Roku Ultra and J-Tech JDAT5CH HDMI Audio stripper to achieve Airplay 2. I send music from my phone to my old stereo system's D/A via Toslink. Enter your Wi-Fi credentials on the Roku with your TV, connect via Airplay and enter the passcode and you don't need a TV again!
Works great and not very expensive!

Here is a list of Rokus that support Airplay 2.
https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

napoleo

Top Bottom