• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there an AirPlay receiver with digital out?

miiaow

I’ve been looking at buying a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless speakers, which famously don’t support AirPlay. This means I either have to downgrade to a pair of KEF LSX (which support it) or go with a different brand alltogether to be able to stream lossless (assuming AirPlay is lossless) audio to the speakers.

One solution that came to mind was to just buy an AirPlay compatible streamer/receiver, like the brilliant Yamaha WXAD-10, but for some strange reason it doesnt offer a digital out (nevermind all the streaming inputs would be digital so there should be no problem offering a digital out). I’ve tried to find a device like the WXAD-10 that does offer digital out (either through USB or optical) but can’t seem to find anything.

I would like to avoid going with analog outputs from the streamer to the speakers because that would only add another conversion step in the chain (since LS50 wireless converts analog signal to digital)

Is there something I’m missing here? Is there some law of nature that prohibits such a device from being realised? Should I just go with a different brand of speakers or wait until KEF releases a v2 of the LS50W with updated protocol support?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would get something else, if only to send the message that leaving out Airplay is not acceptable on a streaming audio device.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
I did look at the Yamaha WXC50, but was wanting something with XLR connectivity. Does such a thing exist?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Raspberry Pi with the hat of your choice, or just over USB - there's a multitude of tutorials on turning one into an airplay receiver using shairport-sync. At least one of the usual suspects (Volumio, Rune etc.) is likely to have support built in. I've not tried it as I son't have anything Apple though.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Raspberry Pi with the hat of your choice, or just over USB - there's a multitude of tutorials on turning one into an airplay receiver using shairport-sync. At least one of the usual suspects (Volumio, Rune etc.) is likely to have support built in. I've not tried it as I son't have anything Apple though.
You can run kodi in various OSes on an RPi, and kodi has an AirPlay option.

TimDH

Forum Donor
my Kef LSX supports AirPlay. Are you sure you need a streamer?

I’ve been looking at buying a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless speakers, which famously don’t support AirPlay. This means I either have to downgrade to a pair of KEF LSX (which support it) or go with a different brand alltogether to be able to stream lossless (assuming AirPlay is lossless) audio to the speakers.

One solution that came to mind was to just buy an AirPlay compatible streamer/receiver, like the brilliant Yamaha WXAD-10, but for some strange reason it doesnt offer a digital out (nevermind all the streaming inputs would be digital so there should be no problem offering a digital out). I’ve tried to find a device like the WXAD-10 that does offer digital out (either through USB or optical) but can’t seem to find anything.

I would like to avoid go

mactrix

To answer the original question:

The WXAD-10 would be a perfect device if it had digital output. It does have a hidden USB service port but it doesn't offer audio output.

Most AirPlay 2 receivers (you don't want version 1) on the market have analog + digital. All solutions except Yamaha are very expensive.
  • Yamaha WXC-50
  • Bowers & Wilkins Formation Audio
  • Bang & Olufsen BeoSound Core
  • Primare NP5 Prisma
The NP5 Prisma is the most beautifully designed and pure digital device that gets close to the WXAD-10. The price tag is much higher though. You need to understand that the technical components don't drive the price. It's mass production. Yamaha can push large production charges into the market, while a niche manufacturer like Primare offers something more exclusively - in this case it's the design. The only technical downside of the NP5 for me is that it requires an iOS app to control and configure it and the Google Home app to set up the device in the network - which isn't possible without a Google account - big No-Go for me. They should offer a web interface to be independent from the life-cycle of an app and Google.

Last edited:

jordancpa

I did look at the Yamaha WXC50, but was wanting something with XLR connectivity. Does such a thing exist?
You said you wanted a digital out. XLR is for balanced analog in/out. The KEF LS50W does not have an XLR input as well.

What is it really?

You may check Marantz Streamers without the power amps as they support airplay 2

OP
M

miiaow

You said you wanted a digital out. XLR is for balanced analog in/out. The KEF LS50W does not have an XLR input as well.

What is it really?

You may check Marantz Streamers without the power amps as they support airplay 2

I think you may be confusing me with DuxServit ;)

jordancpa

Attachments

• 71C13946-2941-4CEF-A6D9-6E5525F2E392.jpeg
    71C13946-2941-4CEF-A6D9-6E5525F2E392.jpeg
    381.7 KB · Views: 210

DuxServit

Forum Donor

What is it really?

Thx, will take a look at the Marantz.

I was wondering about XLR out, so that the streamer could feed some active speakers with XLR-inputs.

Top Bottom