• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a way to visually compare AVP AVR's Dolby Atmos processing?

smile nya

Is there any way to quantify or visually compare the Dolby Atmos processing results of avp avr?

There are many programs for device setting and calibration, such as Odyssey, Dirac, ypao, Trinnov, Storm Audio, and arc.
If the speaker layout in my room is different from the correct manual,
I wonder if those programs can correct that.

I heard that Trinnov, Stormaudio, and ypao figure out the height and position of ceiling speakers and do some corrections.
This makes the distribution of the sources a little more precise according to the speaker positions, right?
If so, I'd like to know how accurately the distribution of these sources can be done in my room, and which program performs better.

I want to know the visible number or result value like the sinad value.
Can't I know that my avr and avp are outputting the correct distribution and sound to the speaker channels?
Of course, I know that positioning the speakers in the correct position gives the best effect.

Is it possible?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible?
Generally, no. I think it's a really good question though. There are no real objective tests to determine if one system is better at rendering sounds at the correct position than others. Denon, Marantz, and Onkyo (and sister brands) don't really have the option to assign speaker positions other than distance. Yamaha does angle and height, and I'm not very familiar with the others, but given the high-end status, they probably do it as well.

I've always wondered how much of an impact this has on sub-optimal speaker placements and always thought this would be a trivial feature to have in an Atmos world where speakers are just virtual projectors in space used to project a 3D sound field.

As for processing power needed for this: I doubt it will add much because basically Atmos already does all of this out of the box.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The whole thing is a big mess where content is allowed to make assumptions for location of the speakers whereas the owner cannot move them. As you note, only some systems like Trinnov and supposedly new Sony AVRs let you remap position of the speakers.

OP
S

smile nya

The whole thing is a big mess where content is allowed to make assumptions for location of the speakers whereas the owner cannot move them. As you note, only some systems like Trinnov and supposedly new Sony AVRs let you remap position of the speakers.
Thank you for your valuable reply.
How about testing the avr and avp after slightly misaligning the multi-channel speakers in an anechoic chamber?
If someone can test this way and get satisfactory results?

OP
S

smile nya

Generally, no. I think it's a really good question though. There are no real objective tests to determine if one system is better at rendering sounds at the correct position than others. Denon, Marantz, and Onkyo (and sister brands) don't really have the option to assign speaker positions other than distance. Yamaha does angle and height, and I'm not very familiar with the others, but given the high-end status, they probably do it as well.

I've always wondered how much of an impact this has on sub-optimal speaker placements and always thought this would be a trivial feature to have in an Atmos world where speakers are just virtual projectors in space used to project a 3D sound field.

As for processing power needed for this: I doubt it will add much because basically Atmos already does all of this out of the box.
Thank you for your kind reply.
When playing atmos with avp or avr, channels are automatically distributed according to specific rules, but it was frustrating because I didn't know how good avp and avr were.
Denon and Marantz do not measure the angle and height of height channels and overhead channels.
Yamaha does this, but I wasn't sure how accurate it was.

It would be nice if Dolby could create an accurate test file rather than just a manual book.

pedrob

Thanks for the head up.

The Sony STRAZ7000ES is 13.2 and includes Truly Immersive audio with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration IX and 360 Spatial Sound Mapping. Seems promising, although a bit disappointing as they both must work in unison and I prefer to turn room calibration off. No doubt other manufacturers will implement the similar technology. Being hands-on, I'd prefer to use a 360° protractor and manually enter degrees in the same way as speaker distances.

Top Bottom