• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a way to repair a latching switch that won't "latch"?

Zerimas

I've got an old guitar with what is known as a "push-push" pot. It is a pot but with a DPDT on-on switch on the bottom.

IyEb0vd.jpg

I am pretty sure this thing is supposed to "latch", but for whatever reason it doesn't. Is there a way to fix one of these easily. I've searched various industrial supply retailers, but I have been unable to find one with a similar configuration. I guess it is an ON-ON, DPDT push button switch. I am not sure what the mounting style is? Panel mount, maybe? Additionally they aren't likely to have the little cutout in them (the bottom of the shaft slides in there horizontally).

I am not an engineer so I don't know what I am talking about. Trying to figure out them nomenclature for these things is tricky—especially since guitarists generally don't tend to use those conventions either.

OP
Z

Zerimas

Yeah, that is what I am looking for. However, it doesn't have the little cut out for the bottom of the shaft.

L3iVvjL.jpg

Here is what it looks like. In initially though the that "latching"—or rather the mechanism that fixed the shaft in one position or another—was tied to the detents in the shaft, but on disassembling it further that doesn't appear to be the case. Maybe I am not smart enough for this.

OP
Z

Zerimas

I found this item after much googling. Same thing, but the resistance is different. IIRC Yamaha used 330kΩ pots or something weird because the guitar has both a humbucker and single coil. I was considering replacing the neck pickup anyway (I have a stacked humbucker sitting around).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom