• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a way to determine which target curve i would like?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering if someone took some tracks and applied target curves on them so people with flat frequency response can figure out which target curve they should aim for.

Right now it seems very track dependent to me, which is not very ‘scientific’. All target curves eventually ‘flat out’ perceptually once we get used fo them. So it’s kind of getting a little confusing for me.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The old Tact RoomEq system allowed you to have 9 different target curves on tap. I used to keep them for different recordings. Some recordings are too bright and could use a different curve while others are too bass heavy and needed a different curve. It was also handy top put in some curves that were very similar and try them out. You could switch instantly between them with a remote control.

I guess it depends on how you currently do room EQ. Is it with software that lets you create a few different versions?

If not you could create your own with sound editors like Audacity or Reaper. Take a track apply a few different curves to it and save them. Then play each of those tracks to find the one you like best.

Is this something like what you have in mind?

Feelas

I'm also wondering the same, yet not in the ways of "what I would like", but whether the room's size affects the room curve that should expectably work. Currently I've ended up somewhere between 3-6dB shelf under 200Hz & a falling response, reminiscent of Harman's in-room target - wondering what to check next in my 25m^2 room.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm also wondering the same, yet not in the ways of "what I would like", but whether the room's size affects the room curve that should expectably work. Currently I've ended up somewhere between 3-6dB shelf under 200Hz & a falling response, reminiscent of Harman's in-room target - wondering what to check next in my 25m^2 room.
There is some interaction with room size. I'd typically start with a target curve flat to 200 hz and then have it roll off. In a huge space like a theater you'd probably want it to roll off starting at 20-40 hz.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The old Tact RoomEq system allowed you to have 9 different target curves on tap. I used to keep them for different recordings. Some recordings are too bright and could use a different curve while others are too bass heavy and needed a different curve. It was also handy top put in some curves that were very similar and try them out. You could switch instantly between them with a remote control.

I guess it depends on how you currently do room EQ. Is it with software that lets you create a few different versions?

If not you could create your own with sound editors like Audacity or Reaper. Take a track apply a few different curves to it and save them. Then play each of those tracks to find the one you like best.

Is this something like what you have in mind?

It’s just that I don’t want to play mixer while i’m listening to music. So i want to give all the tracks their best chance (but an equal chance nonetheless) and kinda move on.

It would be nice to apply the target curves myself, but i would be kinda paranoid whether i did it correctly or not.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
It’s just that I don’t want to play mixer while i’m listening to music. So i want to give all the tracks their best chance (but an equal chance nonetheless) and kinda move on.

It would be nice to apply the target curves myself, but i would be kinda paranoid whether i did it correctly or not.

two sugestions:

1) Bob Katz method: (note, the idea is not copying his curve, but using your music to try out >1000Hz slopes)

2) make your speakers flat above 1000Hz in the nearfield, and flat below 1000Hz at listening position
2b) make your speakers flat above 1000Hz at listening position with a direct sound filter (example given: frequency dependent window in REW), and flat below 1000Hz at listening position

Top Bottom