• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a tube amp worth getting?

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DarnGood300B made by @tomchr

levimax

Major Contributor
IMO the cheapest/ best way to experiment with tube amps is vintage equipment like Dynaco, Scott, Fisher, etc. They offer what tube amps have to offer as these were "hi-fi" amps of the day not the "effects boxes" that many modern tube amps are. After playing around you will be able to sell them for as much as you paid for them. Probably best to have some DIY repair skills to go this route.

Digital Mastering System

Or find a used 3500:
mc3500-mk-i.ashx

Graph Feppar

Being more in the objectivist camp I've generally stayed away from tube amps because of their worse technical performance. I was wondering if there are any tube amps worth a salt out there? Maybe some with low distortion aside for the "good" harmonic distortion or something like that?
There isnt single rational reason to get tube amps. Euphonic distortion is lie, any nonlinear system through which non-integer sinusoids pass ( music), will puke out wall of intermodulation distortion tones that are all inharmonic.

Even if you want that, you can do that in digital signal processing, much faster, cheaper, easier and more reliable than having real triode tubes. Most tube amps are retarded to say the least anyway, for example, there is really no reason why the powersupply on tube amp must use tubes too, it just ruins signal to noise ratio, efficiency and reliability and doesnt sound any different to transistor one.

Tubes are horrible for low impedance loads, they use output transformers to make it lower voltage and higher current and they are very nonlinear themselves too so that "tube sound" is really mostly transformer sound in reality. There are these OTL tube amp monstrosities but I think if you want more linear tube amp, why not just go with transistor instead. But amps arent just about sound, I really like the aesthetics and the retro technology aspect.

10237551.jpg
9934944.jpg

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There isnt single rational reason to get tube amps. Euphonic distortion is lie, any nonlinear system through which non-integer sinusoids pass ( music), will puke out wall of intermodulation distortion tones that are all inharmonic.

Even if you want that, you can do that in digital signal processing, much faster, cheaper, easier and more reliable than having real triode tubes. Most tube amps are retarded to say the least anyway, for example, there is really no reason why the powersupply on tube amp must use tubes too, it just ruins signal to noise ratio, efficiency and reliability and doesnt sound any different to transistor one.

Tubes are horrible for low impedance loads, they use output transformers to make it lower voltage and higher current and they are very nonlinear themselfs too so that "tube sound" is really mostly transformer sound in reality. There are these OTL tube amp monstrosities but I think if you want more linear tube amp, why not just go with transistor instead.

You are logically right, but who can resist to this

1640299677773.png

Graph Feppar

You are logically right, but who can resist to this

View attachment 174294
Exactly, fuck the measurements, I cant hear stuff below - 70db anyway. Who cares about signal to whatever gobbledygook ratio from some ****** made in china tiny box when you can have this glorious golden behemoth!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
IMO the cheapest/ best way to experiment with tube amps is vintage equipment like Dynaco, Scott, Fisher, etc. They offer what tube amps have to offer as these were "hi-fi" amps of the day not the "effects boxes" that many modern tube amps are. After playing around you will be able to sell them for as much as you paid for them. Probably best to have some DIY repair skills to go this route.
I would certainly second that! :cool:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Being more in the objectivist camp I've generally stayed away from tube amps because of their worse technical performance. I was wondering if there are any tube amps worth a salt out there? Maybe some with low distortion aside for the "good" harmonic distortion or something like that?
I don't know about any of that 'good harmonic distortion' criteria, but have you thought about building an amp? A tube amp is really easy to build, and when you are finished you will have a sense of accomplishment and pride of ownership. You don't have to get the latest and greatest designs, but something like one of the 'new' old Dyna clones from the late '50s and early '60s.

All you need are some simple tools, a soldering iron, and a multimeter. A handful of hours to spare, and a place to work. Some band-aids for when you burn your fingers.

The link below should give you some ideas, but there are others out there for sure.

https://www.dynakitparts.com/

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about any of that 'good harmonic distortion' criteria, but have you thought about building an amp? A tube amp is really easy to build, and when you are finished you will have a sense of accomplishment and pride of ownership. You don't have to get the latest and greatest designs, but something like one of the 'new' old Dyna clones from the late '50s and early '60s.

All you need are some simple tools, a soldering iron, and a multimeter. A handful of hours to spare, and a place to work. Some band-aids for when you burn your fingers.

The link below should give you some ideas, but there are others out there for sure.

https://www.dynakitparts.com/

+ point to point soldering >>> that is a totally different experience than soldering a multi-leg transistor

1640301991016.png

30 Ounce

Harmon Kardon Citation II, Macintosh MC275, Audio Research Classic 60 or Classic 120’s like I have. All, low noise, low (ish) distortion and wide bandwidth. Tubes can perform very well just not up to the best solid state design.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Harmon Kardon Citation II, Macintosh MC275, Audio Research Classic 60 or Classic 120’s like I have. All, low noise, low (ish) distortion and wide bandwidth. Tubes can perform very well just not up to the best solid state design.
FWIW - and not that anyone asked ;) -- the McIntosh MC-225 is my very favorite-est Mac amp of all-est.

1640378523273.jpeg

Here's one powering a nice pair* of ESL-57s -- not a bad combination at all. Note also the APT preamp :)
1640378590729.jpeg

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only two companies that I would even consider are Luxman and McIntosh.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The only two companies that I would even consider are Luxman and McIntosh.
Well...they both made some good ones, and still make some decent ones... but there have been many, many, many others.
The Marantz 8B is darned hard to beat IMO and IME; a magnificently designed and executed amplifier.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well...they both made some good ones, and still make some decent ones... but there have been many, many, many others.
The Marantz 8B is darned hard to beat IMO and IME; a magnificently designed and executed amplifier.
Can’t say I agree. I don’t think Marantz has been engineering and building tubes amps consistently as long as Lux or McIntosh. But who knows.

30 Ounce

Based on another thread here I would definitely go with the Carver.

??? Why? This is why tubes get a bad name! This is a poorly designed circuit with super cheap output transformers. Well made output transformers weigh a lot and are required for proper tube performance. OTL excepted…

Top Bottom