• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a tube amp worth getting?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don't own commercial tube gear, only use my own stuff, and it's been that way for many decades. But... if I had to have a commercial amp, I'd pop for a Luxman 3045, and redo the tubes. It's a well-executed version of the Mac unity coupled circuit with a few modern touches. I've worked on a lot of equipment from C-J, AR, VTL, and the like and have no interest in ever owning them. But that 3045 hit the same irrational bit of me that lusts for a Nissan Figaro (despite not being a car guy).

radix

Major Contributor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My biggest bonehead audio move was to sell my MC275 (GASworks redone) >> although for good money but still bonehead!
My excuse for selling it was that I was not getting much use out of it, after starting the WAF thingy!
I miss that broken 5...:oops:
McIntoshMC275ArtsyView01HiRez.JPG
McIntoshMC275NurzCircuitBoardModsDetails01HiRez.JPG

I have been seriously thinking to buy a tubed-something just for nostalgia-sake.

Eldus

Me 3! some great Software emulations out there
Have any recommendations? I do use Equalizer APO and it is compatible with 64bit VSTs.

jthc

I run an Earmax Pro (OTL) and Audio Technica W100s -- it's midrange heaven. I just love the sound of tubes. If you can find an EMP for cheap I highly recommend it.

This one looks pretty cool - MHA200
View attachment 122055
HiFi+ Award Winner 2021 Headphone Amplifier of The Year by HiFi+ Magazine

I personally am very interested in this McIntosh MHA200 headphone amp for the following reasons.

1. McIntosh quality and character that is smooth in the mids.
2. It looks great.
3. It has tubes, and the craftmanship is excellent.
4. Its not too big.

Top Bottom