• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a simple multichannel solution for 5.1/5.2 audio with DSP that is NOT an AVR?

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A follow up question on this. I was reading through the Topping DM7 thread and it occurred to me that there is no device to take the multichannel PCM from the Apple TV HDMI output to USB. But it would be possible to run the HDMI into a Mac Mini M1, which can output USB. Has anybody tried that? Because with that, one can do most anything to the audio (i.e., subwoofer cross-overs, DSP) before sending to the Topping.

To answer the obvious question -- the Mac Mini doesn't seem to support all of the video streaming services with native apps, but the Apple TV does. Hence the need for the Apple TV.

Apple TV -> Mac Mini -> Topping DM7 -> powered speakers with balanced inputs is what I am thinking about.

Reactions: MCH

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But it would be possible to run the HDMI into a Mac Mini M1, which can output USB.
The HDMI port on the Mac Mini is an output, not an input. That won't work.

You can get an HDMI capture card. But the next problem is HDCP. None of them will capture encrypted content. So back to square one...

tehas

yup, I explored this wanting to get hdmi input into a PC for DSP aka an 'audio processor' to go with videoprocessor.org.
Typical capture cards wont let you capture hdcp protected content, although an hdfury can be inserted in the path to strip hdcp. The next issue is that none of them will capture non-PCM audio, and are limited to 8 channels.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

The HDMI port on the Mac Mini is an output, not an input. That won't work.
I thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure if HDMI was bidirectional.

an hdfury can be inserted in the path to strip hdcp. The next issue is that none of them will capture non-PCM audio, and are limited to 8 channels.
I only want PCM and 5.1 channels, so the HD Fury is ok. But I really don't want to build another PC. I am more of a Mac person now. But that is very good to know.

I guess I could live with the Mac Mini itself. I am 99% sure I can use it for USB output and do all the DSP processing onboard. But it becomes a question how how best to emulate the Apple TV functionality with a Mac Mini. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, DisneyPlus, Spotify, etc. And to use a remote of some kind (or iPad ) to control it.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure if HDMI was bidirectional.

I only want PCM and 5.1 channels, so the HD Fury is ok. But I really don't want to build another PC. I am more of a Mac person now. But that is very good to know.

I guess I could live with the Mac Mini itself. I am 99% sure I can use it for USB output and do all the DSP processing onboard. But it becomes a question how how best to emulate the Apple TV functionality with a Mac Mini. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, DisneyPlus, Spotify, etc. And to use a remote of some kind (or iPad ) to control it.

You'd have to check for each streaming service you want to use, but for my purposes Safari (for Netflix) or a native app (Tidal, Prime) are serviceable.

As well as the Remote.app on iPhone/iPad, if you use M1/M2 Mac it can be an AirPlay target for said i-device (as well with an AppleTV hardware box). Airplay maybe just stereo I think but handy when you have visitors and you want to let them stream their stuff.

Mac > DAC > Genelec is a tidy setup if GLM is sufficient DSP for you. I though their SAM subwoofers had digital inputs?

Dirac runs on Mac of course, but they do charge extra for multi-channel and I'm not sure where the bass management thing is up to these days (if that matters for you). I run Sonarworks and while I bought a multi-channel DAC for future expansion I'm currently using stereo so can't check whether specific sources are working for 5.1/Atmos, etc just yet. Sonarworks added multi-channel recently so there are at least two straightforward macOS software choices for DSP.

Last edited:
OP
HooStat

HooStat

I though their SAM subwoofers had digital inputs?
Not for multichannel digital, but they do for analog. For digital you need an outboard box ($1000). It is a big miss on their subwoofers because they are already very expensive.

But for an old pre/pro with balanced outputs, Genelec would work quite well for a lot less money.

I am not sure if there is any reason to spend much on a newer pre/pro for 5 channel PCM. I might go that direction too because that would be very easy. Just need something with HDMI in that takes multichannel PCM and has a decent DAC. And I guess supports ARC for volume.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Not for multichannel digital, but they do for analog. For digital you need an outboard box ($1000). It is a big miss on their subwoofers because they are already very expensive.

Do you mean the GLM kit's network adaptor? I hadn't looked at that setup, so read the GLM manual. Using Mac as source, looks like USB from the Mac to the network box, then ethernet daisy-chain to their speakers and subs. No need for an additional multi-channel DAC, which would offset the cost. And there's a wired hardware controller and a couple of remotes. If I was starting from scratch, that'd be it.

But for an old pre/pro with balanced outputs, Genelec would work quite well for a lot less money.

I am not sure if there is any reason to spend much on a newer pre/pro for 5 channel PCM. I might go that direction too because that would be very easy. Just need something with HDMI in that takes multichannel PCM and has a decent DAC. And I guess supports ARC for volume.

Yes. Your OP mentions AppleTV device as source, hence HDMI in I assume. I just use my AppleTV as a supplementary source, with optical out from the TV to the DAC. Limits that to stereo (which is all I have now in any case) but also no DSP (from the Mac software). If the DAC (or processor) has HDMI in, then ARC and multi-channel would be better. Getting a multi-channel box with both USB and HDMI in is a trick.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean the GLM kit's network adaptor? I hadn't looked at that setup, so read the GLM manual. Using Mac as source, looks like USB from the Mac to the network box, then ethernet daisy-chain to their speakers and subs.
The ethernet is just to configure GLM. It doesn't carry any (digital) audio.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
The ethernet is just to configure GLM. It doesn't carry any (digital) audio.

Got it, need to read more of the manual. :facepalm:

Studio setup assumes an audio interface I'm guessing. On the bright side, I'm not missing out ...

Chrise36

Major Contributor

After all your best bet for something affordable is Evolve II-4K HDMI https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-98-trinnov-altitude-32-essence-evolve-ii-4k-page-2
Or the Oppo clones

Chrise36

Major Contributor
They seem to be rebrands of these:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
It was discussed above in #38 . 9301A or 9301B

Found it in the manual now, thanks.

My imaginary version of the GLM network device was much cooler. :(

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Found it in the manual now, thanks.

My imaginary version of the GLM network device was much cooler. :(
Mine too. I am guessing that Genelec will fix that eventually. I think the 8331 can take digital or analog using the same AES/EBU connector -- that would make things simpler.

EDIT: Also, I think it would be fine to go all analog into the Genelec. It should be transparent and in my experience it is. I did both with the 8361A when I had them.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pogo

Major Contributor
These outputs are managed:
Front Left
Front Right
Center
Subwoofer
Surround Left
Surround Right