• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a right and wrong music we should listen to?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Leave it to intelligent people to make a mountain out of a molehill.
please, don’t overthink it. The simple answer: you listen to whatever pleases you. End.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Leave it to intelligent people to make a mountain out of a molehill.
please, don’t overthink it. The simple answer: you listen to whatever pleases you. End.

You just reminded me of how much I hate listening to / reading music critics, especially if it's an album I already know.

It's just all so much pseudo-intellectual masturbation.

Last edited:

kevinh

The purpose of audio equipment is to allow you to enjoy music YOU enjoy, there is no point in listening to music you don't enjoy regardless of the recording quality.

If I enjoy music where the recordings themselves aren't very good, the job of the system is to allow me to get the most from the music I am listening to.

Ignore the people who want you to conform to their view of what good music is.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"The most important thing in art is The Frame. For painting: literally; for other arts: figuratively -- because, without this humble appliance, you can't know where The Art stops and The Real World begins.

You have to put a 'box' around it because otherwise, what is that shit on the wall?

If John Cage, for instance, says, "I'm putting a contact microphone on my throat, and I'm going to drink carrot juice, and that's my composition," then his gurgling qualifies as his composition because he put a frame around it and said so. "Take it or leave it, I now will this to be music." After that it's a matter of taste. Without the frame-as-announced, it's a guy swallowing carrot juice."

"So, if music is the best, what is music? Anything can be music, but it doesn't become music until someone wills it to be music, and the audience listening to it decides to perceive it as music.

Most people can't deal with that abstraction -- or don't want to. They say: "Gimme the tune. Do I like this tune? Does it sound like another tune that I like? The more familiar it is, the better I like it. Hear those three notes there? Those are the three notes I can sing along with. I like those notes very, very much. Give me a beat. Not a fancy one. Give me a GOOD BEAT -- something I can dance to. It has to go boom-bap, boom-boom-BAP. If it doesn't, I will hate it very, very much. Also, I want it right away -- and then, write me some more songs like that -- over and over and over again, because I'm really into music."

-- F.Z.
Well this artist provided not only a frame, but an entire box.
Also a box for the other box later in the video. You can find uncensored versions if you care to do so.
So I suppose the box (frame) Wills it to art, and separates the end of art and beginning of the real world. Thanks for channeling F.Z. for us Ray.

Tks

Major Contributor
What the heck did I just watch..

carlosmante

By that I mean how do we determine if a music was recorded properly in a studio?

I was made a mockery by some users in the USA Audiophile community for mentioning I liked this Local Trinidad song which apparently isn't up to audiophile quality because it isn't recorded in a studio? and the singer doesn't have a proper quality voice.....but if so how come there isn't wind blowing into the mic if this was really recorded by the sea? I was also made fun of picking music this and things like Space EDM as my choice of music I like.

I am not sure how to pick music that is of Audiophile standard.

Minute 0:43 Forget "air Guitar". This video is about "AIR BONGOS".

Wombat

Master Contributor

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of the music I listen to would probably be criticised by those who are seemingly more concerned about the recording quality than the music or performance. My favourite pianist is Emil Gilels, many of whose recordings leave something to be desired if judged according to recording quality. Ditto George Szell, Maria Callas, Eugene Ormandy and many others.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Everyone has their own taste. Don't listen to elitists thinking anything auto tune is terrible. Just listen to any kind of music you enjoy and follow @solderdude's advice.

Autotune is no big deal for me, but there are some genres where I would prefer it not done -- e.g. Opera, most live acoustic type recordings, and the like.

*I just suddently remembered the alien singing from the movie The Fifth Element -- that was cool.

Top Bottom