• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a difference between XLR-cables?

Wendigo79

Hi everyone!

A XLR noob question, is there a difference between a XLR-interconnect cable and a XLR-microphone cable? Are there differencies in the wiring or are they the same?

Thanks in advance! I know that people here know this easily!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Certainly there are different qualities but for sound any well made cable is fine.

For tons more answers just do a search for XLR and click “Search title only”.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
XLR cable is the same, just in pairs they'll sometimes be called interconnects. They have the same 3 prongs. Higher priced ones your only getting better quality control and durability. If not defective, they all sound the same.

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
XLR cable is the same, just in pairs they'll sometimes be called interconnects. The have the same 3 prongs. Higher priced ones your only getting better quality control and durability. If not defective, they all sound the same.
Beyond Canare/Neutrik level ~$0.60/ft plus ~$3.50/connector (the best quality ones add no more than ~$30 for assembly) you are getting absolutely nothing in quality control or durability or more likely worse quality.

OP
Wendigo79

Wendigo79

Thank you! So it's all just marketing terminology, to sell (almost) the same stuff with different prices. Microphone cables are sturdier of course because of their use but otherwise the same thing. I've been searching for xlr-cables as I just ordered the SMSL do100-dac and wanted to make sure that there is no any kind of surprise left for me. I ordered XLR-interconnect cables from thomann.de Multiple colors and 0.9m length. With postage something like 20+ euros

shrink

I ended up with some Van-Damme Star Quad with Neutrik plugs. I think i paid about £25 all in, and they sound as good as any other XLR I ever had :)

wacomme

Thank you! So it's all just marketing terminology, to sell (almost) the same stuff with different prices. Microphone cables are sturdier of course because of their use but otherwise the same thing. I've been searching for xlr-cables as I just ordered the SMSL do100-dac and wanted to make sure that there is no any kind of surprise left for me. I ordered XLR-interconnect cables from thomann.de Multiple colors and 0.9m length. With postage something like 20+ euros
I have the DO100 and use some basic, inexpensive cables I bought on Amazon. They work just fine.

Top Bottom