• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a DAC that will allow unbalanced pass-through?

TomB19

I've been looking at the pass through on the THX 789 but, best I can tell, this is unbalanced output from the DAC.

Does anyone make a DAC that can either send it's own signal to the unbalanced output or allow an unbalanced input to pass through?

The reason I ask is, I'd like to inject a DAC between my AVR and amplifier stack so that I can have DAC straight to amplifiers for 2 channel listening but still use the main speakers and amplifiers for home theater. I would imagine this is a problem most people have: wanting to cut out their AVR for sound quality when listening to 2 channel.

Perhaps there is a different way to solve this problem?

I might consider a manual unbalanced switch box but it would be nice if a DAC could automatically cut itself inline.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Guess you could have an audio switch box, between the AVR's front speakers line-output and the amplifier's line-input.
So the DAC and the AVR each have their 2-channels feeding into the switch box

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Does anyone make a DAC that can either send it's own signal to the unbalanced output or allow an unbalanced input to pass through?

Analog pass through?

Benchmark DAC2 or DAC3 HGC or L version.

I might consider a manual unbalanced switch box but it would be nice if a DAC could automatically cut itself inline.

You'll still have to select the input manually.

Top Bottom