• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a DAC / DSP / Preamp that is relatively affordable?

hello_there

Is there an affordable DAC / DSP / Preamp combo that preforms well?

I have a SMSL DO-100. I use it for my TV sound, music through a mac mini, and bluetooth from phones and laptops.

If this had a simple room-correction DSP built in, so that all of my sources were seamlessly corrected, I would be completely satisfied with this part of my audio chain.

I'm really just trying to correct room nodes, and for less than ideal speaker placement.

This is easy enough to do with music through ROON, but that doesn't help me with the TV or bluetooth.

Is there such a thing in existence that isn't cost prohibitive?

Am I the only one who would be interested in such a thing?

One box, multiple digital inputs, simple DSP, XLR outputs (ideally), physical volume control and remote, while remaining affordable.

Thanks for your consideration.

OP
H

hello_there

This ticks all your boxes.

Except maybe the last one. Or not.
Thanks for the recommendation.

While I would love to buy the RME, I cannot justify spending that much.

The SMSL DO100 costs $239. If they added simple DSP and kept at $400, I'd be thrilled.

Even without a mic, a simple digital domain EQ would be highly welcome.

Being that current low priced DACs are squeezing out a ton of sound inexpensively and regularly at this point, perhaps adding DSP might be the next frontier for Topping, SMSL, etc.

Here's hoping.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there an affordable DAC / DSP / Preamp combo that preforms well?

I have a SMSL DO-100. I use it for my TV sound, music through a mac mini, and bluetooth from phones and laptops.

If this had a simple room-correction DSP built in, so that all of my sources were seamlessly corrected, I would be completely satisfied with this part of my audio chain.

I'm really just trying to correct room nodes, and for less than ideal speaker placement.

This is easy enough to do with music through ROON, but that doesn't help me with the TV or bluetooth.

Is there such a thing in existence that isn't cost prohibitive?

Am I the only one who would be interested in such a thing?

One box, multiple digital inputs, simple DSP, XLR outputs (ideally), physical volume control and remote, while remaining affordable.

Thanks for your consideration.
Will this do?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
While I would love to buy the RME, I cannot justify spending that much.
Out of interest (and genuine question) does this mean that even if you had the money you wouldn’t get one?

Asking because with this currently non-existing product at $400 you’d be almost halfway already right?

OP
H

hello_there

Out of interest (and genuine question) does this mean that even if you had the money you wouldn’t get one?

Asking because with this currently non-existing product at $400 you’d be almost halfway already right?
If I was in a position to spend the money, I would happily budget $10,000 for my audio.

I'm just not in a position to justify doing so.

If the SMSL DO100 had DSP and was $400, I would buy it.

We are on a tight budget currently, with a young child.

It reminds me when I asked a friend who didn't have a ton of money, while my wife was pregnant, "Just how much does it cost to have a kid?"

His reply?

"That's easy. All of it."

OP
H

hello_there

Will this do?

I think that checks all the marks.

$570 for balanced.

Doable.

Would love higher SINAD and lower dollars.

Yes, I'm a dreamer.

But with SMSL, Topping, etc, regularly making high performing DACs at low prices, perhaps including DSP while keeping prices low will be a differentiating factor in the near future.

Thanks!

MCH

Major Contributor
A topping balanced dac with volume control and remote costs what, minimum 350-400 usd?. If they ever make one 4 channels balanced with dsp and possibility to upgrade to dirac, i don't expect it to be cheaper than the 570$ flex, tbh.

OP
H

hello_there

I like that piece. I'm not sure that a streamer helps me, personally.

Being that I have hundreds and hundreds of movies on my hard drives (god bless torrent files), I like having the mac mini as my streamer, as I can use it for music with Roon and Plex for movies.

I like keeping the preamp/dac separate from the power amp, as any particular power amp limits the speakers that work with it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

$570 for balanced.

Doable.

Yes, I'm a dreamer.

But with SMSL, Topping, etc, regularly making high performing DACs at low prices, perhaps including DSP while keeping prices low will be a differentiating factor in the near future.

Thanks!
Remember that you can upgrade to Dirac by spending another $200. Perfect upgrade path.

OP
H

hello_there

A topping balanced dac with volume control and remote costs what, minimum 350-400 usd?. If they ever make one 4 channels balanced with dsp and possibility to upgrade to dirac, i don't expect it to be cheaper than the 570$ flex, tbh.
If the SMSL DO100 is $240, how much would adding DSP cost? $200? $300?

I'd love to see that product.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like that piece. I'm not sure that a streamer helps me, personally.

Being that I have hundreds and hundreds of movies on my hard drives (god bless torrent files), I like having the mac mini as my streamer, as I can use it for music with Roon and Plex for movies.

I like keeping the preamp/dac separate from the power amp, as any particular power amp limits the speakers that work with it.
It's a Roon endpoint with streaming and Dirac and look at the specs on the amp. Keep the mac-mini for movies.

Trell

Major Contributor

$570 for balanced.

Doable.

Yes, I'm a dreamer.

Thanks!

For room eq you’ll need to add a microphone to measure and their UMIK-1 comes at $75. The DAC has PEQ you can set and is included, or you can buy Dirac for $199.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
If I was in a position to spend the money, I would happily budget $10,000 for my audio.

I'm just not in a position to justify doing so.

If the SMSL DO100 had DSP and was $400, I would buy it.
I think you slightly changed my question and then answered it. But never mind.

Perhaps think of it this way: your DO100 cost you $240 and you say you’d be willing to spend another $400 on a ‘DO100 DSP’. Your thoughts in post 13 make me believe you’d even spend more - worst case $540. That’s a total audio expenditure of $640 to $780.

Apparently you can see yourself accumulate that money, and justify spending it on audio. If that is true then I’d say the RME, which is your perfect solution that actually exists, is within reach with the right mindset and maybe the right amount of patience.

Edit: D100 -> DO100

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
If you don't mind tinkering a little...

You may be able to create the core of what you seek with these three products

and CamillaDSP.

Requirements left to meet:

I guess the XLR will be difficult but I see it's not a must for you. You should be able to cover the other three (and possibly a display?) for not too much $.

Until then you could use your DO100 for

and perhaps hide the other two boxes.

Edit: D100 -> DO100

Last edited:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd second the miniDSP Flex ... does seem to tick the boxes and it's a nice piece of kit too.

Alternative, also reviewed here, is to add DSP to your setup cheaply ... Thomann DSP You'd need a measurement mic too if you don't already have one

Top Bottom