• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a custom made baffles service out there?

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Bought these tectonic drivers from Parts express & was wondering if there are services out there that make custom trim rings for these or Baffles?
1653657613548.png

i want to flush mount these into pods, but I would like them flush in a trim ring.
1653657905843.png

So I was wondering if any of you know anyone that does that as a service that takes the Driver measurements from the Spec sheet of the manufacturer, and creates a custom trim ring or baffle for you?

I have not has any luck just looking for one. And I think I would have to contact some CNC place to get it done.

How do the rest of you flush mount drivers for your builds? Do you just get a CNC machine? I'm about to spend money on a 3D printer if that's the way to go. What would you do? It would be my first time working with drivers that I custom flush mount.

I plan to use them in some speaker pods without grills, so that's why I wanted them to look nice.

Do you have any suggestions? I guess I could use Bondo and wood filler. But again. I never flush mounted before.

Model is the :

Tectonic TEBM35C10-4 BMR 2" Full-Range Speaker 4 Ohm

1653660070734.png

I really don't NEED to do it. I just wanted to do it to give the install a nice look that would look nice and almost OEM.

Later, I plan to build some Mini speakers for fun. So I was wondering what you Pro's do?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
How do the rest of you flush mount drivers for your builds?
I've never done a flush-mount but I have a circle cutting jig for my router. I could cut a circular groove first, then reduce the diameter and increase the depth to cut the hole. (Or cut the hole with a hole-saw.)

...I've also never made such a small hole with the circle-cutting jig, normally I'd use a hole-saw, but I think it would work.

Since your speaker isn't perfectly round you could drill the clearance holes for the "tabs" first using a depth-stop on your drill bit, or the depth-stop on a drill press. (Use a Brad-point bit or a Forstner bit to get a clean cut and an almost flat-bottom hole.)

Or, you could surface-mount the drivers and glue-on a separate full-size trim-layer that could glued to the backing-baffle. You could use drills, a hole-saw or a jig-saw, etc. You'd probably have to figure-out an alignment jig (especially if you are using multiple drivers) and/or you might need to make & bond the trim-layer first before cutting the main thru-holes.

Last edited:

carbidetooth

Out of curiosity, I drew this using manufacturers' specs. Two things of note:

1. If there's a dimension for depth of rabbet I missed it. This is shown at .125.
2. They don't mention or show in any way, but the driver mounting holes will intersect the edge of thru-hole. If it were me, I'd add material there. From photos it would appear there would be room to do as I've drawn.

If you're looking for a ring to hide fasteners and pretty things up, I suspect 3d printing would be best bet. Maybe pegs to slide into two of the mounting holes.

Attachments

• Screenshot (26).jpg
    Screenshot (26).jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 43
OP
iMickey503

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Since your speaker isn't perfectly round you could drill the clearance holes for the "tabs" first using a depth-stop on your drill bit, or the depth-stop on a drill press. (Use a Brad-point bit or a Forstner bit to get a clean cut and an almost flat-bottom hole.)
8IJ.gif
EUREKA!
Out of curiosity, I drew this using manufacturers' specs. Two things of note:

1. If there's a dimension for depth of rabbet I missed it. This is shown at .125.
2. They don't mention or show in any way, but the driver mounting holes will intersect the edge of thru-hole. If it were me, I'd add material there. From photos it would appear there would be room to do as I've drawn.

If you're looking for a ring to hide fasteners and pretty things up, I suspect 3d printing would be best bet. Maybe pegs to slide into two of the mounting holes.
I am floored. I went as far as Drafting in Mac Draft years ago. But never finished CAD/CAM. And you just drew that up like I make spaghetti from scratch. Amazing what skills people have you just run into.

Thank you both so much!

carbidetooth

You'd laugh if you watched me make spaghetti, so there's that.

I did have another thought. If you were to mount these on the backside of baffle you could get by with a simple round hole. Perhaps bevel the "exit" on front. A waveguide of sorts. That assumes you'd have access to do so or a removable baffle.

Top Bottom