• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

is there a box set that you think is worth the money?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
its come to light that Pink Floyd is releasing an expensive box set for Dark Side... ok this is a cash grab

but has there been some box set in the past that you think is actually worth it?

I have heard the Beatles ultimate vinyl collection in flac format and its actually very good. So that seems worth it I guess?

It was a limited edition so there's that.

oceansize

Forum Donor
The Cult's Love box set was about £20 when it first came out, which was more than fair for 4CDs. A bit dearer if you want it now. There have been plenty of good boxes that weren't/aren't overly exploitative of punters.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How much was the Talking Head brick when it came out? The Doors DVD-Audio box was not crazy expensive when I got it (and worth every penny!). Al Stewart's boxes not too dear. Some of this depends on where you buy from; I tend to patronize https://burningshed.com though sometimes Amazon has better prices, and http://superdeluxeedition.com has some unique items. Jimi Hendrix' Experience box set was not crazy expensive. I hate the big size, but the surround was really hypnotizing. For me it's not just about the price but the size. And anything with vinyl forget it, I don't want it and it's huge.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Police: Message in a Box
CSN box set
Willie Dixon: The Chess Box
GD: Spring of 1990 I and II
GD: Pacific Northwest 1973/74

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Beatles FLAC file usb stick is a 24 bit 44.1 sampled file set also with videos and MP3s from the 2009 remasters. Not from vinyl.

I did pass on the Revolver box set because it didn't have a multichannel nor Atmos BluRay or DVD. I have enough copies and many mixes of Revolver. I don't need picture books, screwy sized boxes and doodads. I did buy their reissues that are on CD and also anything with multi channel. It is high priced too.

mongobot

Forum Donor
The box sets that King Crimson have been releasing have been worthwhile IMHO.
For me it's a tossup between the "Starless" or "Road to Red" boxes.
I also like that they offered some of the box material as standalone content.

Top Bottom