• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a "best choice" among pre/pro units under $3,000?

AlexanderM

Shows out of stock, might find one by looking around, has 11.2 channel processing, all the new tech such as 2.1 and Dirac, in your price range. Have you already made a purchase?

greenpsycho

Sprint

Forum Donor
The only thing I wish to say is-I had a Denon 3700, used it in preamp mode with a Outlaw 7000X amp, I thought it sounded great, found a great deal on a Yamaha CX-A5100 for $500, it runs circles around the Denon, I always use the final battle of Avengers Endgame for testing, I noticed sounds I never heard before ( and I did watch it right before with the Denon), better separation in the speakers, a lot more clear sound, it just sounded so much better.
@theBruce: Which settings do you have e.g. Surround AI, Decoder?, Movie sound mode e.g. Standard. I used to have an old Yamaha AV receiver RX-V775 and I wanted to avoid DSP except bass management but I could not manage. But I loved the overall sound.

theBruce

@theBruce: Which settings do you have e.g. Surround AI, Decoder?, Movie sound mode e.g. Standard. I used to have an old Yamaha AV receiver RX-V775 and I wanted to avoid DSP except bass management but I could not manage. But I loved the overall sound.
I always like to believe I am a purist and just use standard for DD+ and Atmos, but I really like the A1 on the 5200, it really adds a lot of extra detail to the sound.

Sprint

Forum Donor
I always like to believe I am a purist and just use standard for DD+ and Atmos, but I really like the A1 on the 5200, it really adds a lot of extra detail to the sound.

Thanks! Apart from Denon 3700H, what are the other processors did you compare? How is 5200 in 2ch stereo with subs? Since I sold my RX-V775 last week with my old Yamaha speakers, I am looking for a processor to connect to Genelec 8340 and 8330 for both movies and music set up. I do not have ceiling speakers and so no Atmos. I plan to have ceiling speakers only after a year or two. My source for both music and movies is Apple TV and occasionally blu ray movies via PS.

I am thinking of one of the two options:
Cheap:
Canton Smart Connect 5.1 for around 650 euros. Save money on CX-5200 to go for all digital surround set up in few years with Genelec subs and 9301 bass management using a combo of HD Fury -> AJA SDI AES embedder -> Genelec 9301 -> 8340/8330/subs. At the moment I have only analog subs from SVS

little expensive:
Yamaha CX-A5200 or Anthem AV60 or Marantz 7705 or Marantz 6015 or Denon 3700 or IOTAVX AVX1. Anthem AV60 and 7705 did not measure well here but are cheaper than 5200. IOTAVX seems to also ok but costs around 1900 euros and do not know the longevity of this product. 5200 costs around 2500 Euros and measured well with Audioholics but not in ASR. A bit cheaper option are 3700 and 6015 with amps shut down. When I read your earlier posts, you were not happy with the sound of 3700. I have also learnt it from other internet users. Since 6015 shares the same base like 3700, I assume 6015 will sound the same. On the other hand, I am used to Yamaha sound and so is my family. Both 3700 and 6015 Is out of stock in europe and cannot do sound tests. However I found one you tube video between 5200 and 8805. Could not really get which was better from a you tube video.

However with your listening experience with Denon, I will strike out Denon / Marantz from the list even though 3700 is leading the pack when it comes to measurement.

So this leaves me to choose from Canton Vs Yamaha :).

I will also create new posts here to get some feedback from other ASR experts.

Abe_W

Thanks! Apart from Denon 3700H, what are the other processors did you compare? How is 5200 in 2ch stereo with subs? Since I sold my RX-V775 last week with my old Yamaha speakers, I am looking for a processor to connect to Genelec 8340 and 8330 for both movies and music set up. I do not have ceiling speakers and so no Atmos. I plan to have ceiling speakers only after a year or two. My source for both music and movies is Apple TV and occasionally blu ray movies via PS.

I am thinking of one of the two options:
Cheap:
Canton Smart Connect 5.1 for around 650 euros. Save money on CX-5200 to go for all digital surround set up in few years with Genelec subs and 9301 bass management using a combo of HD Fury -> AJA SDI AES embedder -> Genelec 9301 -> 8340/8330/subs. At the moment I have only analog subs from SVS

little expensive:
Yamaha CX-A5200 or Anthem AV60 or Marantz 7705 or Marantz 6015 or Denon 3700 or IOTAVX AVX1. Anthem AV60 and 7705 did not measure well here but are cheaper than 5200. IOTAVX seems to also ok but costs around 1900 euros and do not know the longevity of this product. 5200 costs around 2500 Euros and measured well with Audioholics but not in ASR. A bit cheaper option are 3700 and 6015 with amps shut down. When I read your earlier posts, you were not happy with the sound of 3700. I have also learnt it from other internet users. Since 6015 shares the same base like 3700, I assume 6015 will sound the same. On the other hand, I am used to Yamaha sound and so is my family. Both 3700 and 6015 Is out of stock in europe and cannot do sound tests. However I found one you tube video between 5200 and 8805. Could not really get which was better from a you tube video.

However with your listening experience with Denon, I will strike out Denon / Marantz from the list even though 3700 is leading the pack when it comes to measurement.

So this leaves me to choose from Canton Vs Yamaha :).

I will also create new posts here to get some feedback from other ASR experts.

For what its worth, I audited the 7706 before i settled on the CX-A5200. The CX-A5200 + MX-A5200 has been sheer sonic nirvana. Yes, there is a best choice and it is known as Yamaha, i.e., get your gear from the guys who also made your piano, violin, guitars, brass, etc. Don't waste your cash with the other amateurs fumbling in the dark ;).

Top Bottom