• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is there a benefit in using balanced output to headphones?

momo7G

To my knowledge, balanced output is used to reduce ground and hum in professional audio.
Which is a great deal as the cables need to run for a longer distant and signaling high power PA system.
However, is the balanced out will do good in home audio? As we usually just sit in front of the speakers or using headphones.
Can someone shed some knowledge to me please?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Headphones have no connection to ground so by definition are always balanced no matter how you drive them.

The only benefit comes from higher output from some headphone amps when used in "balanced" mode. As you correctly state, this has nothing to do with the signal being balanced.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed, there is a benefit if you want a higher output than is available using the regular output. That is the only advantage.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I believe the OP is looking for line level balanced outputs although the title has headphones in it.
In case it is about headphones the above replies are correct.
I can see benefits for low power supply voltage rails portable applications.
For these devices double the output voltage is available so can play 6dB louder from the same power supply voltage.
This could be handy when you want to drive 300 Ohm headphones from a 3.3V or 5V power supply rails (portable equipment)
Inherently all drivers are 'balanced' (as Amir already mentioned) it's the cable that makes the headphone have a common return wire connection.

More talk on this here

When it is about line level outputs:
Say you have active monitors that only have balanced inputs then it makes (kind-of) sense to drive it balanced as it is there already.
Although even an amp that only has balanced inputs can work well on a 'single ended' RCA output as well.
You just need to short one of the balanced input pins to ground pin in that case. (NEVER use that trick on balanced outputs !!!)

I don't think hum is a problem in domestic situations but in rare occasions (ground loops) it could possibly be a problem. When the audio signal has transformers in it this could solve such a problem. Most of the 'balanced' inputs (and outputs), however, are simply direct inputs and outputs of opamps.

Otherwise I see no benefits in home applications.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
2x the voltage = 4x the power... (P = U2/R) and R stays the same.
Only valid for high impedance headphones ;)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yep.. 6dB !
can't go wrong there, both in power as well as voltage. :cool:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom