• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Soundblaster AE5 better than the ASUS Xonar Essence ST?

Pflamingo

Have had the Essence ST for some years in my gaming PC, but now it is incompatible with my new motherboard having only PCIe slots.

Looking at the Soundblaster AE5 instead. I see it got recommended on a review here.

But is it actually performing any better than the Essence ST, meaning would I get better sound clarity etc on my Audioengine A2 stereo speakers and my DT 990pro headphones?

Or should I instead opt for an external DAC/AMP combo?

external is always better as you have more versatility, you don't have to depend on PC, possibly have more inputs, separate volume control and just plug and play with no crappy drivers.

Tup3x

external is always better as you have more versatility, you don't have to depend on PC, possibly have more inputs, separate volume control and just plug and play with no crappy drivers.
Always better? Definitely not. Portability is better, sure. Random DAC&amp around AE-5 price level obviously lacks any ADC, no DSP and so on (Sound Blaster X G6 is good all in one external alternative). Not really sure what you mean with separate volume control. AE-5 at least uses Sabre DAC's volume control so it will work in all cases (even when using exclusive WASAPI).

OP
P

Pflamingo

Went out and ordered the Zen DAC. Decided for an external DAC. Hope the sound is at least as good as I had with the Essense ST

Top Bottom