• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the sound of a relatively expensive amplifier so much different than a cheaper one?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Probably all DACs and all amps do the same job technically; that does not explain why many people that hold that belief still pay loads of money for gear over basic models.
As I do not understand technical stuff, I ignore the previous assumption and feel free to hear differences like:
Topping E30 made a difference vs Yamaha As701 internal DAC
2x Denon amps sound lousy with Q Acoustics 3050i, those speakers sound better with As701

Mynice

Wow those Dali Oberon 9's are some seriously big speakers! If it's just music, I am not sure you'll need a sub with them, they are going to move a lot of air on their own. For movies, sure, there are a lot of sound affects designed just for subwoofers.

Start with the speakers you want - put most of your money into that. The speakers make all the difference, it's the only thing that actually makes sound. Unless you like listening loud, there are a lot of amps that will power those speakers no problem with their 90.5dB sensitivity. I mean, pick any amp mentioned in this thread and you're good. Do they all sound a little different? Yes. Will some sound better than others? Yes. Does it matter compared to the speakers and room placement/treatment? No.

If you like cool retro looks like that JBL amp you can always just buy an actual vintage amplifier. Sure, they might hum a bit and throw off a lot of heat, and they won't measure as well as a modern amp, but they will look cool for sure and you'll get plenty of power for the low end.

You do need to think carefully about how you're going to serve up music to your amp. I would get a dedicated device for serving music rather than something built into the amp, because those standards are always changing but good amps are forever. You don't want to have to change your amp in five years because there is some new Wifi standard or everyone starts using some kind of new app it doesn't support. So put some thought into that.

Digital_Thor

Wow those Dali Oberon 9's are some seriously big speakers! If it's just music, I am not sure you'll need a sub with them, they are going to move a lot of air on their own. For movies, sure, there are a lot of sound affects designed just for subwoofers.
Sorry... I helped dial in a set of Magico Q7 - now that's a big speaker ;)
But you know what.... it still needed subwoofers - because bass response was terrible without DSP controlled subwoofers. This is simply the hardcore nature of room acoustics. You might get away with a bit of EQ on the mains.... but subwoofers do a huge difference - also for music!

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi everyone,

I am quite new to the forum and as I am trying to build my first Hi-Fi system I was wondering how much different is the sound quality/experience amongst cheaper to more expensive amps.

Mind you, the system will be installed in a normal living room...5x5 sq.m.

Thanks!
My experience was opposite. Cheaper (but better measured) ClassD amps sounded way better than expensive ClassAB amps. Maybe it's personal preference. ClassD had always cleaner highs, punchier lows, better imaging etc etc - Aiyima A07.
Of course, u can go with expensive ClassD as well - Hypex nCore or Purifi.

Digital_Thor

My experience was opposite. Cheaper (but better measured) ClassD amps sounded way better than expensive ClassAB amps. Maybe it's personal preference. ClassD had always cleaner highs, punchier lows, better imaging etc etc - Aiyima A07.
Of course, u can go with expensive ClassD as well - Hypex nCore or Purifi.
May I ask what you find expensive? Because I found the UcD400 stereo kit for around 640 Euros:
https://www.soundimports.eu/en/ucd400-stereo-kit.html
As I remember, it's been tested on this site, to be very close to the Ncore in performance. AB amps are usualy a bit more expensive, when needed to output 200W of quality sound - maybe mostly because of costly transformers, lots of high power caps and big cooling fins. Imaging, is a speaker thing - mostly ;)

Top Bottom