• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the MoFi gate and lawsuit just the beginning?

PureNeoMag

Last week started building a free online database for sonically outstanding vinyl reissues that goes beyond just MoFi titles. You can filter by different information. For example, to see only the digital MoFi titles. Or all AAA 45rm mono titles from 1997 to 2006. It's free, and it's for you.

https://www.pure-neo.io/music/sonically-oustanding-vinyl-reissues

While doing this work, we saw that there are more labels not 100% transparent in this regard. Also, Blue Note, Classic Records, and many others stay vague, misleading, or do not provide any detailed information.

For example, means neither mention analog nor digital that it is digital? This is what Blue Note obviously thinks.
Or, did Acoustic Sounds bite more than they can chew when they claimed to be fully transparent about digital sources?

We collect and share our findings about other well-known but not-so-transparent reissue labels on the website and in our newsletter.

Leave a comment on what label you want us to add next.

Greeting from Vienna,
Georg

PS - The Pure Neo Magazine is still in beta status. Or, to be precise, it's an MVP in stealth mode. Soft-launch is in 2023. Full-launch 2024.

sq225917

Major Contributor
What does the click bait title have to do with the post content?

OP
P

PureNeoMag

What does the click bait title have to do with the post content?
Everything. The question is if there will be more investigations, cover-ups, and lawsuits regarding missing or misleading language about analog or digital sources.

Obviously, you don't like the title. Why this passive-aggressive question? Just ignoring it would be an option as well. Bad day?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a difference between vague and misleading, vague wouldn't necessarily cause a lawsuit, if it did I don't see it going anywhere, misleading obviously could.

OP
P

PureNeoMag

There's a difference between vague and misleading, vague wouldn't necessarily cause a lawsuit, if it did I don't see it going anywhere, misleading obviously could.
This is what I think as well. Being legally on the edge is probably still ok. But there are already rumors about a settlement to avoid court. And this could be a strategy of some others as well. Damaging the brand by suing them because they feel betrayed. Kinda revenge act by vinyl collectors.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
They could just make their digital files available for purchase.. no need to buy those masters on vinyl or cd.
Now that would be something that I would purchase

OP
P

PureNeoMag

They could just make their digital files available for purchase.. no need to buy those masters on vinyl or cd.
Now that would be something that I would purchase
Buying the DSD256 would be awesome. Acoustics Sounds stopped selling DSD files because of international licensing problems. To complex.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Buying the DSD256 would be awesome. Acoustics Sounds stopped selling DSD files because of international licensing problems. To complex.

They could just sell it in the US and people buy it with a VPN. I did that in a Japanese store recently because I didn't want to bother with importing a cd

OP
P

PureNeoMag

This is the internet. People make comments. They have the freedom to ignore something .... or not, as they see fit. You have the same freedom. In other words, you could have ignored his comment. Many people here hold differing opinions, yet we (generally) all get along, and add to each other's knowledge base. Yes, there are barbed comments here and there, but as has been posted in the past:

"Just because a dog barks at you doesn't mean you have to bark back."

Jim

Hey Jim

I have zero tolerance for bullies and trolls. This is why I will always bark back and call out users who try to put a negative flavor on my posts or comments. This is the freedom I claim for myself. Of course, I understand that many people feel better when they bully others. I'm also very aware that some of them do not even reflect on their behavior and think it's ok. But it's not. Also, there is a fine difference between ignoring a public post and ignoring direct communication.

OP
P

PureNeoMag

They could just sell it in the US and people buy it with a VPN. I did that in a Japanese store recently because I didn't want to bother with importing a cd
Same here. But I also bought a DSD file that basically was an upsampled PCM. Most sellers are gone now, and the titles were kinda boring. Having the MoFi and Analogue Production catalog as DSD265 would sell big time.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey Jim

I have zero tolerance for bullies and trolls. This is why I will always bark back and call out users who try to put a negative flavor on my posts or comments. This is the freedom I claim for myself. Of course, I understand that many people feel better when they bully others. I'm also very aware that some of them do not even reflect on their behavior and think it's ok. But it's not. Also, there is a fine difference between ignoring a public post and ignoring direct communication.

He wasn’t bullying or trolling you.

I do, however, think the database is cool.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Let’s move on from this and get back on topic. No bullying or harassment is tolerated here. If you feel like you have been bullied, report the offending post and let the Moderators handle it. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I like the initiative but I can’t help wondering whom you’re hoping to reach here.

sq225917

Major Contributor
You're neither being bullied or trolled, so no need to start with the ad hom. It was simply a question as I couldn't understand how the post linked to the title which seemed like a bait and switch into an announcement of a upcoming service offering.

Perhaps that was the intention to get eyes on your site?

sofrep811

Last week started building a free online database for sonically outstanding vinyl reissues that goes beyond just MoFi titles. You can filter by different information. For example, to see only the digital MoFi titles. Or all AAA 45rm mono titles from 1997 to 2006. It's free, and it's for you.

https://www.pure-neo.io/music/sonically-oustanding-vinyl-reissues

While doing this work, we saw that there are more labels not 100% transparent in this regard. Also, Blue Note, Classic Records, and many others stay vague, misleading, or do not provide any detailed information.

For example, means neither mention analog nor digital that it is digital? This is what Blue Note obviously thinks.
Or, did Acoustic Sounds bite more than they can chew when they claimed to be fully transparent about digital sources?

We collect and share our findings about other well-known but not-so-transparent reissue labels on the website and in our newsletter.

Leave a comment on what label you want us to add next.

Greeting from Vienna,
Georg

PS - The Pure Neo Magazine is still in beta status. Or, to be precise, it's an MVP in stealth mode. Soft-launch is in 2023. Full-launch 2024.
Classic Records still put out titles? I know I sold all my LZ albums over 10 years ago and they had already stopped putting out new releases.

Regardless, I don't see why anyone cares--it's the best sound quality you can get. If they did a straight transfer from the tapes with old analog gear it would sound like crap. Regardless, the re-issue labels have to add digital into the mix at some point in this day and age.

I'm sure all these new (young) vinyl collectors are at the point where they need to throw out some faux outrage at being fooled. Yet...still not understanding the entire chain of vinyl production.

Top Bottom