• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Is the LXmini by Siegfried Linkwitz the answer for home audio?

mdsimon2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think they sound very good with studio music as long as you understand the inherent volume limitations.

I also use them as speakers for my TV and they do very well in that regard (good speech intelligibility, natural sounding).

I highly recommend adding two lower cost sealed subwoofers and eliminating the low end boost on the woofer as it will give you a bit more headroom and a lot more low end extension. Subwoofers are very easy to integrate as the woofer without boost has a 60 Hz LR2 roll off.

Michael

F-Bomb

Thanks for the comment, Michael.

I don't expect the LXminis to sound as big as floorstander speakers. But since I have a medium-large room (~50 m2), I was indeed looking at complementing them with subwoofers, under the form of a LXmini+2 system.

You suggest using lower cost sealed subwoofers. Is mainly due to the price point, or do you feel they sound better than the open-baffle subwoofers of the LXmini+2?

mdsimon2

50 m^2 is a pretty big room, not sure they would be the best fit for that to be honest.

I had considered the LXmini+2 but as you mention the Seas L26RO4Y subs are quite expensive ($330/each) and I personally didn't see much of a reason to pursue dipole subwoofers when the LXmini woofer is a monopole. I have not heard the LXmini+2 so I cannot comment beyond that. I also already had sealed subs on hand from previous projects (2 x Dayton RSS315HFA-8). The big advantage of the Seas L26RO4Y is that it allows an upgrade path to the LX521.

There is a lot of really good discussion on OPLUG about integrating subs with the LXminis, when I mentioned low cost sealed subs I had @dreite 's Peerless 830668 design in mind.

Michael

OP
A

abdo123

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
50 m^2 is a pretty big room, not sure they would be the best fit for that to be honest.

I had considered the LXmini+2 but as you mention the Seas L26RO4Y subs are quite expensive ($330/each) and I personally didn't see much of a reason to pursue dipole subwoofers when the LXmini woofer is a monopole. I have not heard the LXmini+2 so I cannot comment beyond that. I also already had sealed subs on hand from previous projects (2 x Dayton RSS315HFA-8). The big advantage of the Seas L26RO4Y is that it allows an upgrade path to the LX521.

There is a lot of really good discussion on OPLUG about integrating subs with the LXminis, when I mentioned low cost sealed subs I had @dreite 's Peerless 830668 design in mind.

Michael

Hey Michael, I head somewhere that the LX521 have an F3 of 30Hz, did anyone do measurements of the bass units in half space? I'm thinking of using the bass units (starting with the single driver one, sometime upgrade into the double driver ones) as satelite subwoofer for multi-subs.

I'm not sure how dipole and monopole subwoofers would blend in a room. Any idea how that would work out?

mdsimon2

I have not seen measurements for the LXsub2, there are ground plane measurements of the LXstudio (LXmini + LXsub4) on SL's website.

Probably a good question for OPLUG. To be honest I am not sure that there is any difference in DSP between the LXsub2 and LXsub4 which to me suggests the response should be somewhat similar.

No idea on how blending dipole / monopole subwoofers would work other than they will couple to the room differently.

Michael

wizardofoz

We did do a listening test with the LXmini +2, LXstudio and LX521 and IIRC determined that if you were starting with the LXmini then +2 was good for a smaller room, but if you had a larger room and starting scratch the LX521 was where you should be going - the Studio really didn't come close to the LX521 in terms of capabilities in a bigger room. 50M^2 is a much bigger room than I have my LX521's in. We did the test in a room ~50M^s too.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We did do a listening test with the LXmini +2, LXstudio and LX521 and IIRC determined that if you were starting with the LXmini then +2 was good for a smaller room, but if you had a larger room and starting scratch the LX521 was where you should be going - the Studio really didn't come close to the LX521 in terms of capabilities in a bigger room. 50M^2 is a much bigger room than I have my LX521's in. We did the test in a room ~50M^s too.
Or LXmini + your own more powerful subs.

ctrl

Major Contributor
For a few analyses, I took the horizontal measurements from the LXmini and scanned them. I cannot exclude small errors during scanning, but on the whole the frequency responses should be correct. The 15° frequency response below 500Hz seems to have been affected by ambient noise, have treated this frequency range as 0°.
Unfortunately, there are no vertical measurements, which would certainly have been particularly interesting due to the driver positioning.

For all comparisons, especially with those based on NFS measurements (from Amir or Erin), please note that the LXmini measurements are heavily smoothed and therefore appear much smoother.

So, first the frequency responses from 0° to 90°, as they are also shown on Linkwitz's website.
Then the frequency responses are normalized to the on-axis frequency response.
1629901917639.png 1629901931246.png
Up to 1 kHz there are no conspicuous characteristics. It behaves as would be expected from a sealed speaker. The low influence of the cabinet has a positive effect; the radiation is very even up to 1 kHz.
When the Seas full range driver (crossover 900Hz) takes over, the radiation narrows down considerably. This is the transition from monopole to dipole.

Now let's look at the directivity of the speaker +-90° and estimate the horizontal constant coverage.
To do this, we look at the sonogram normalized to the on-axis FR and the -6dB limit:
1629904759928.png 1629904779215.png
Above 1 kHz, the radiation narrows considerably in several steps. If you consider the -6dB limit above 2kHz, you get a constant coverage of about +-40° (80°). It is therefore a narrow, rather than wide, radiating speaker. This is similar to the radiation behavior of a small horn.

Where's the magic in that?
It becomes "special" when you look at the directivity +-180°. For this purpose, we look at the horizontal normalized sonogram (+-180°)
1629908478886.png

Now you can see a narrow side lobe that forms behind the loudspeaker (look at the respective edges of the diagram at +180° and -180°) and that possesses appreciable sound pressure level in the range 1.2-5kHz.

If we look at power response and directivity index in the horizontal plane, the graph is choppy, but smooth on average. In part, erratic changes are included, which is actually not desired.
1629910202109.png

Update: But with the help of DSP, you should be able to compensate for some of this.
For comparison, with a "normal" speaker this would look something like this (only horizontal FR's too):
1629910802982.png

Seas FU10RB full range speaker used
I only know a review in Hobby-Hifi 2012-3 about the Seas FU10RB full range speaker.
The most striking thing is a resonance around 1.5 kHz, which can be seen in the impedance measurement and in the CSD in the review. Probably a cone or/and surround resonance.
This resonance causes a peak in harmonic distortion with 5% HD2 around [email protected] This is unpleasant, but only affects a narrow frequency range.
The frequency response is linear for a full-range driver and has only minor breakup resonances in the high frequencies. Rather early sound pressure level drop in the high frequencies >10kHz.

Last edited:
Top Bottom