• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the hype around SVS subwoofers justified?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent control software. Great looks. Great sound. Not the best value.

Reactions: wje

q3cpma

Major Contributor
What hype? They're technologically very simple, no servo mechanism like Rythmik or Velodyne nor interesting designs like Genelec's LSE. But their sealed line provide very good value for money, a long warranty and are very good looking.

Reactions: wje

kokishin

Forum Donor
I have an SVS SB-2000 sealed sub. For my room, it can provide subtle to shake the room bass. It just seems to blend in really well with music or movies and it's never boomy.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
SVS don't have stupid flaws or marketing bluff. But I've read that USA marketing has been colorful sometimes...
Their tube subs are super!
And most other mfgs don't have any sealed or tube subs!

But I've never seen or heard any of them, so my opinion comes from what I've read.
It is easy to diy similar performance.

https://data-bass.com/#/systems?_k=kxbmuo

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’ve owned three different models over time. My personal opinion is more than positive.

More importantly all published measurements (check Audioholics) are very satisfactory.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Mine has always struck me as a very good value. Being able to fine tune the phase control through all 180 degrees (as opposed to a binary switch) allowed for pretty seamless integration.

esm

Forum Donor
My living room is a full SVS Ultra setup, including a pair of the older SB13s. They've just generally been an excellent company to deal with, and the SB13s are more than sufficient to annoy my neighbors. No hype here (I'm also EQ'ing the hell out of the room, so the hype should really be for dirac), I just like sending my money to companies that treat their customers well and build solid products. And if you're willing to buy their outlet/scratch-and-dent items, you can knock a decent amount of money off the cost (it's how I wound up with a second sub).

I wish Amir lived a little closer, I'd bring some of my kit over for him to measure. (I don't even know where you'd start for setting up the klippel to adequately measure the ultra floorstanders though, given the weird driver layout.)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, they were one of the first sub-only companies, and come from good diy stock, have generally offered a very good product at a good price with excellent customer service and an unbeatable free home trial deal. Maybe not strictly the best value today, but still a very good one. What I don't understand is how Rel is so well regarded.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an SVS SB-2000 sealed sub. For my room, it can provide subtle to shake the room bass. It just seems to blend in really well with music or movies and it's never boomy.
Sounds exactly like my SB2000. It's not hype, nor is it magic. They just offer quality, performance, service and value.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd go for a 4000 and up. More subsonic rumble you can feel. Also ported, because bass!

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
they are great subwoofers, there are good options from other brands, but their top subwoofers are great

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 2 Rythmik L12 but I was needing a 3rd and chatted with SVS, and received great, knowledgeable support answers. I was looking at the SB2000 Pro and looks like it has a great app to control the sub settings and DSP.

martijn86

The community around SVS subs seem to find the whole internet-direct concept interesting. They where the go to value for money subs that got recommended on many early hometheatre forums and there the snowball effect took off. SVS's build stratagy seems to be about rigid, compact body's with a high powered amplifier and DSP correction to provide the deepest possible bass. Simple and effective. They're not the best though, but that's also subjective and linked to the use case. REL for example uses smaller drivers that can move faster and a relatively bigger box to gain low-end. A good combination if you value musicality over rumble. Rythmik uses lower powered amplifiers but overcomes the inner pressures with precision because of the direct servo drive.

Senior NEET Engineer

REL for example uses smaller drivers that can move faster

A fast moving driver is generally undesirable for subwoofer. Slow is the ideal. Large drivers and minimal excursion for tight, low distortion bass.

Top Bottom