• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the entire audio industry a fraud?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
. Also , applying exacting science to something subjective is a fraud in itself.

Are you kidding?

Science studies subjectivity all the time. You can run studies for instance to uncover reliable human preferences using typical scientific controls. Consider all the research cited by Floyd Toole and others.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you kidding?

Science studies subjectivity all the time. You can run studies for instance to uncover reliable human preferences using typical scientific controls. Consider all the research cited by Floyd Toole and others.
As a first post, it was very telling.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Also , applying exacting science to something subjective is a fraud in itself.
How do you think audio kit is designed and developed? Do you think electronic engineers just throw random components into a box and shake it until something miraculous happens?

Or would you expect them to use science backed engineering know how?

It might be that music appreciation is mostly subjective. Designing and evaluating reproduction kit however is 99% engineering.

Have a :rolleyes: for your first post.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you think audio kit is designed and developed? Do you think electronic engineers just throw random components into a box and shake it until something miraculous happens?

It might be that music appreciation is mostly subjective. Designing and evaluating reproduction kit however is mostly engineering.

Unicorns and flooby dust, is how I understand it.

Tedkaz

Are you kidding?

Science studies subjectivity all the time. You can run studies for instance to uncover reliable human preferences using typical scientific controls. Consider all the research cited by Floyd Toole and others. I like blue because I like blu

It might be that music appreciation is mostly subjective. Designing and evaluating reproduction kit however is mostly engineering.

It’s all good, and in the end the best engineering does not create the best sounding equipment. Way more examples of brilliant engineering that sound like total shit, than there are of simplistic fundamentally basic designs that sound spectacular. But that is subjective as well ;-)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s all good, and in the end the best engineering does not create the best sounding equipment. Way more examples of brilliant engineering that sound like total shit, than there are of simplistic fundamentally basic designs that sound spectacular. But that is subjective as well ;-)
But isn't the latter (even allowing the point) an example of good engineering? What exactly are you talking about?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a marvel of understatement :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor

Citation needed.

(Quite apart from the point made by fpitas (good basic designs - in order to work well - need to be well engineered)

Tedkaz

Over engineered would have been a better description. My personal experience simpler designs with minimal parts just seem to outperform more complex designs. That’s not to say the complex ones are bad either, if the complexity brought cost down and performance up.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Over engineered would have been a better description. My personal experience simpler designs will minimal parts just seem to outperform more complex designs. That’s not to say the complex ones are bad either, if the complexity brought cost down and performance up.
Minimally engineered (or as I prefer to call it, badly engineered) amplifiers lack unconditional stability, short circuit and other protection, and whilst may operate OK under controlled circumstances, are flaky and unreliable. Properly engineered amplifiers will stand reasonable abuse and be long-term reliable.
Sadly certain 'boutique' manufacturers make a feature of how fussy their Amps are to create a mystique to cover the lack of proper engineering.

S

Tedkaz

Minimally engineered (or as I prefer to call it, badly engineered) amplifiers lack unconditional stability, short circuit and other protection, and whilst may operate OK under controlled circumstances, are flaky and unreliable. Properly engineered amplifiers will stand reasonable abuse and be long-term reliable.
Sadly certain 'boutique' manufacturers make a feature of how fussy their Amps are to create a mystique to cover the lack of proper engineering.

S
Spot on, my old co worker used to love doing the screw driver across the speaker terminals test to show how well designed the McIntosh amps were that we serviced.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Spot on, my old co worker used to love doing the screw driver across the speaker terminals test to show how well designed the McIntosh amps were that we serviced.
So what do you want?

Have you changed your mind from minimally engineered to properly engineered?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From new Stereophile:

"I'd hardly settled into my chair when he (Ted Denny, Synergistic Research) demonstrated the effect of his $1500 "Vibratron," a roughly six-feet-tall metal rod with two baseball-sized spheres, one gold-plated (for warmer sound), one silver (for brighter sound; mix and match to taste). They're resonators that Denney modeled after "forgotten Greek and Roman technology." To hear him tell it, the ancients knew how to use rounded vessels to improve room acoustics and intelligibility.

Next, we were on to the benefits of his MiG SX bidirectional equipment footers, $995 for a set of three, which you can install pointing up or down according to the sound signature you prefer. The MiGs are claimed to "improve nearly every aspect of system performance," starting with a "denser soundfield." I could hear the difference, couldn't I?I told my host I thought I did, but that I wasn't committing to a final opinion."

I always liked Von Schweikert speakers, the association with Synergistic is unfortunate. "No Ted I don't hear it" would have been a better response.

Wasn't the Vibatron featured in Woody Allen's "Sleeper"?.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From new Stereophile:

"I'd hardly settled into my chair when he (Ted Denny, Synergistic Research) demonstrated the effect of his $1500 "Vibratron," a roughly six-feet-tall metal rod with two baseball-sized spheres, one gold-plated (for warmer sound), one silver (for brighter sound; mix and match to taste). They're resonators that Denney modeled after "forgotten Greek and Roman technology." To hear him tell it, the ancients knew how to use rounded vessels to improve room acoustics and intelligibility.

Next, we were on to the benefits of his MiG SX bidirectional equipment footers, $995 for a set of three, which you can install pointing up or down according to the sound signature you prefer. The MiGs are claimed to "improve nearly every aspect of system performance," starting with a "denser soundfield." I could hear the difference, couldn't I?I told my host I thought I did, but that I wasn't committing to a final opinion."

I always liked Von Schweikert speakers, the association with Synergistic is unfortunate. "No Ted I don't hear it" would have been a better response.

Wasn't the Vibatron featured in Woody Allen's "Sleeper"?.

If can appropriate a phrase from our good friends across the pond: "This guy just has to be taking the piss."

Top Bottom