• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the Audient ID44 enough to power the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x (470 ohms)?

digitalanus_7

Audient iD44 USB Audio Interface Specs:

• Computer Connectivity: USB 2.0
  • Form Factor: Desktop
  • Simultaneous I/O: 20 x 24
  • Number of Preamps: 4 x mic, 2 x instrument
  • Phantom Power: Yes
  • A/D Resolution: 24-bit/96kHz
  • Analog Inputs: 2 x XLR-1/4" combo (mic), 2 x 1/4" (Hi-Z), 2 x XLR-1/4" combo (mic/line)
  • Analog Outputs: 4 x 1/4"
  • Digital Inputs: 2 x Optical Toslink (ADAT)
  • Digital Outputs: 2 x Optical Toslink (ADAT)
  • Inserts: 2 x channel inserts
  • Headphones: 2 x 1/4"
  • USB: 1 x USB-C
  • Clock I/O: Out
  • Software: Audient iD Mixer
  • Power Supply: 12V DC 2A power supply (included)

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From the Audient website, it says they built it to drive any headphones. With these numbers, it should be good for your 470ohms headphones.
Link for iD44 : https://support.audient.com/hc/en-u...ximum-Headphone-Impedance-the-ID44-can-Drive-

MAX LEVEL INTO 30hms:

Level+7.5dBu
THD+N0.003%
Power:225mW
Pavg 112.6mW
MAX LEVEL INTO 60ohms:

Level+10.2dBu
THD+N0.002%
Power:210mW
Pavg 105mW
MAX LEVEL INTO 600ohms:

Level+14.2dBu
THD+N0.001%
Power:54mW
Pavg 27mW

More info for iD14 and iD22 : https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/articles/205565985-Audient-Headphone-Amplifiers-Safe-SPL-Levels

Last edited:
OP
D

digitalanus_7

From the Audient website, it says they built it to drive any headphones. With these numbers, it should be good for your 470ohms headphones.
Link for iD44 : https://support.audient.com/hc/en-u...ximum-Headphone-Impedance-the-ID44-can-Drive-

MAX LEVEL INTO 30hms:

Level+7.5dBu
THD+N0.003%
Power:225mW
Pavg 112.6mW
MAX LEVEL INTO 60ohms:

Level+10.2dBu
THD+N0.002%
Power:210mW
Pavg 105mW
MAX LEVEL INTO 600ohms:

Level+14.2dBu
THD+N0.001%
Power:54mW
Pavg 27mW

More info for iD14 and iD22 : https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/articles/205565985-Audient-Headphone-Amplifiers-Safe-SPL-Levels

The weird thing is that I recently asked a Sweetwater sales guy about a recommended audio interface for my Audio-Technica ATH-R70x and he recommended an audio interface called the RME Fireface UCX II. I asked him if there was another cheaper option and he told me that the RME Babyface Pro FS would be another good option. I asked him if the Audient ID-44 would be able to power my headphones and he said that the Audient wouldn't be a good option to give them enough power.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
ATH-R70x' are not that hard to drive, they're basically the same sensitivity as Sennheiser HD600s or the like and less fussy about output impedance. +14 dBu (~4 Vrms or ~114 dB SPL peak) seems fine for them, even if the iD44 may have the least attractive headphone out of the whole Audient lineup these days. If your computer has USB Type C available, some of the best choices with tons of voltage output would actually be the inexpensive iD4 MkII / iD14 MkII. iD22 has the same output level (~+18 dBu) but higher output impedance, and iD44 combines the latter with somewhat lower output level.

A number of other interfaces' headphone outputs also do a good job driving a $100 class headphone amplifier (e.g. Schiit Magni Heresy, JDS Labs Atom Amp+, Topping L30 - all of which have maximum output in excess of any of the above).

So overall there is little reason to be overly fussed about this aspect. What do you need on the recording and I/O side?

OP
D

digitalanus_7

ATH-R70x' are not that hard to drive, they're basically the same sensitivity as Sennheiser HD600s or the like and less fussy about output impedance. +14 dBu (~4 Vrms or ~114 dB SPL peak) seems fine for them, even if the iD44 may have the least attractive headphone out of the whole Audient lineup these days. If your computer has USB Type C available, some of the best choices with tons of voltage output would actually be the inexpensive iD4 MkII / iD14 MkII. iD22 has the same output level (~+18 dBu) but higher output impedance, and iD44 combines the latter with somewhat lower output level.

A number of other interfaces' headphone outputs also do a good job driving a $100 class headphone amplifier (e.g. Schiit Magni Heresy, JDS Labs Atom Amp+, Topping L30 - all of which have maximum output in excess of any of the above).

So overall there is little reason to be overly fussed about this aspect. What do you need on the recording and I/O side?

If I'm honest with you, I don't need to record any acoustic instruments since most of my music is produced in the DAW using soft synthesizers and samples. I need more than anything a good DAC with a good headphone amplifier.

Trell

Major Contributor
If I'm honest with you, I don't need to record any acoustic instruments since most of my music is produced in the DAW using soft synthesizers and samples. I need more than anything a good DAC with a good headphone amplifier.

There are a number of excellent combined DAC and headphone amps reviewed here on ASR.

Top Bottom