• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the AD/DA conversion inside my speakers limiting my playback chain?

caesar

Hello everybody,

first of all I am new here and very glad I found this forum.

I own active speakers which use DSP inside to achiev better results. They offer only analog inputs which means interally they do first a analog to digital conversion, then the DSP magic and afterwards a digital to analog conversion is necessary again. I am very happy with the speakers an I believe they achiev amazing results for the price. I dont want to discuss if it is good practice to do another AD and DA Conversion inside of speakers.

But what I´m interested in is, is the internal sampling rate and bith depth of the speakers (96khz and 24 bit) limiting my whole playback chain to these values? Or could it still deliver better results if I would for example play audio files with higher sample rate and bith depth? I am asking because I want to upgrade my playback chain with new DAC, Streamer and Preamp. And maybe there are capabilities of new devices like highres and MQA and so on which can not deliver any advantage for me due to the AD/DA Conversion inside the speakers.

If anybody is interested these are the speakers. Abacus Electronics Cortex 15S

Thank you very much in advance.

I hope this is the right forum section.

EDIT: Btw the DSP is not intended for DRC it is used by the manufacturer for speaker design and it ables to manage input gain, bass rolloff and bass pad on the back of the speakers.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You don't get benefits from MQA to begin with regardless of what speakers you use. 96khz/24bit is all you need if you want the last bit of sound quality gain over CD. Or CD is enough.

OP
C

caesar

The discussion whether higher sample rate and bit depth improve sound or not, aside. But there are DACs and Streamers on the market which are able to deliver 192khz at 32bit. Assuming there is a benefit with this values could I benefit from it anyway or is the 96khz 24bit in my speakers limiting anything?

I've read about benefits because the reconstrction filter could work in the inaudible area.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The discussion whether higher sample rate and bit depth improve sound or not, aside. But there are DACs and Streamers on the market which are able to deliver 192khz at 32bit. Assuming there is a benefit with this values could I benefit from it anyway or is the 96khz 24bit in my speakers limiting anything?

I've read about benefits because the reconstrction filter could work in the inaudible area.
You can't separate these things. How would you define benefit?

Top Bottom