• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is "Stairway to Heaven" opening based on "Taurus" by Spirit?

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
How about the actual song instead of a rendition?

They may have a case, but why the heck did it take so long?

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about the actual song instead of a rendition?

They may have a case, but why the heck did it take so long?

Two RIFFs are certainly identical!

I am not bias, I am a fan of both. I have actually been to 2 Led Zepplin concerts, both with less than 5,000 people. ?How long ago was that?

iridium.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
45 years... 1971 for me - Orlando

orlando71-ad.jpg

And 1973 - Tuscaloosa

tusc73-tkt.jpg

But the second show sucked.

The redeeming event of that night was stopping at somebody's dimly lit house on the way to the show and
being exposed to a 'high end' playback system for the first time.

My brain remembers a lot of RCA labels on it, but also remembers blue displays like McIntosh, so I don't
know what it was, but it was big, and sounded good.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hail Mary suit to get some money before all us boomers get thrown into our graves. LOL
Guess the Spirit guys didn't invest too well.

Ronm1

Tea party '69
Page has always been considered a thief since
'Dazed & Confused'

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
http://turnmeondeadman.com/led-zeppelin-plagiarism/

It's funny when you google around on this subject. We grew up (most of us here) with Led Zeppelin in the seventies, after the gold rush of Miles Davis and John Coltrane and Muddy Waters and The Byrds and the Beatles and the Stones and Bob Dylan...

They mentioned @ least seven songs that Led Zeppelin took from someone else. But then, the music laws were different...that was what some bands did.
And still today...but more cleverly.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

But then, the music laws were different...that was what some bands did.
And still today...but more cleverly.

The "artists" in some forms of today's music don't create, they just cut&paste from everyone else creations. GARBAGE :mad:

Dynamix

The "artists" in some forms of today's music don't create, they just cut&paste from everyone else creations. GARBAGE :mad:

Sorry, but that's a huuuge oversimplification. I keep hearing people (usually of a certain age) saying this, but it's just wrong. It's not like you can just press "enter" and your computer will spit out a million-selling major hit. It just doesn't work like that.

Not saying you have to like current pop music, I don't like most of it myself, but writing hits that people actually want to listen to is just as much of a craft today as it was 30-40-50 years ago. That stuff still does not write it self. If it did, we'd all be doing it.

Oh, and also: There was a boatload of "garbage" being created "way back when" as well, it's just that it hasn't stood the test of time and not even the shittiest local radiochannel plays it anymore, so now we can conveniently pretend it never happened. But it did. ;)

fas42

Major Contributor
Not so much "garbage" way back when - but obvious copies of other, creative people's efforts; there are always the "me too!" wagons running along behind - still good to listen to, for people like me, who like the styles, and out of interest.

The truly creative work will survive, of course, be recognised as the starting points ... but someone my age says, how many million slight variations of rap, say, can one take - without going mad!

Last edited:

Dynamix

but someone my age says, who many million slight variations of rap, say, can one take - without going mad!

Saying "all hip-hop is crap" is exactly the same as saying "all jazz is crap" or "all classical is crap". It makes no sense at all, and only makes you look like a bitter old man.

I can only hope that I don't suddenly wake up one day with a closed mind and having lost all my sense of adventure. If I do, then someone please shoot me.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Saying "all hip-hop is crap" is exactly the same as saying "all jazz is crap" or "all classical is crap". It makes no sense at all, and only makes you look like a bitter old man.

I can only hope that I don't suddenly wake up one day with a closed mind and having lost all my sense of adventure. If I do, then someone please shoot me.

Okie Dokie, my pleasure.
quad 50.jpg

fas42

Major Contributor

No, you're missing my point - which is, that the creators and innovators of rap and hip-hop should be given due credit; it's the interminable repetition, the endless photocopies of the "same stuff" which is the "problem" ...

There is some remarkable innovation and exploring in musical forms out there - that's fascinating to see, and worthwhile perusing - not the pointless, "I can do it too!" material .

Dynamix

No, you're missing my point - which is, that the creators and innovators of rap and hip-hop should be given due credit; it's the interminable repetition, the endless photocopies of the "same stuff" which is the "problem" ...

There is some remarkable innovation and exploring in musical forms out there - that's fascinating to see, and worthwhile perusing - not the pointless, "I can do it too!" material .

Oh, right. Then we agree. English is not my first language, so I guess something "got lost in the translation". :)

fas42

Major Contributor
High five ... !!

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
That's the way the music (Pop, Rock, Rap, ...) world works anyway.

The Classical musicians are struggling, so they turn into Rock music because the money is better coming from the kids filling the football stadiums.
We could write a book about that...

Led Zeppelin is big, very big. These guys are doing very well financially today. ...Metallica too.
But it's like painters; the first creators when they get recognized it's generally too late; they're dead, and they lived a poor life.
But some wise folks will take advantage (very natural) and copy some of their stuff, style, riffs, words, ...to cash in.
None's wrong with that; they simply don't have the same level of creativity as the originals. But it don't matter; what does are the kids who like it and pay to see it and hear it, us.

I don't know how it will turn out in court, and what the judge will decide. May the best win, and justice done for all.
Money motivates, karma follows, and heaven knows.

Top Bottom