• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Soekris dac1321 worth buying?

welsh

Oh, not at all! There is a HUGE difference between even THE SAME AMPLIFIER, but with different valves only! It's not some theory, I know what I'm talking about. I have a valve amplifier. When I replaced modern valves with highly valued NOS counterparts produced in the last century, the sound has changed a lot for the better. Even my wife, who did not know that I replaced valves, asked why music now sounds much better.
Hahahahaha! Was she, as seems to be traditional, in the kitchen when she heard the difference?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, not at all! There is a HUGE difference between even THE SAME AMPLIFIER, but with different valves only! It's not some theory, I know what I'm talking about. I have a valve amplifier. When I replaced modern valves with highly valued NOS counterparts produced in the last century, the sound has changed a lot for the better. Even my wife, who did not know that I replaced valves, asked why music now sounds much better.
I have a valve amplifier too ;) and have had others over the last 50 years.
In a properly designed valve amplifier for hifi use (as opposed to an instrument amp for a guitar for example) the circuit should be using the valves in their most linear region so if changing valves makes a big difference to the sound one of them is either faulty or not actually equivalent (or, I suppose the amp design itself isn't very good).
Generally though valve amplifiers have quite high output impedance, enough to change the frequency response of speakers with complex impedance, so some valve amps will sound different to solid state amps with some speakers.

OP
M

Moriarty

Hahahahaha! Was she, as seems to be traditional, in the kitchen when she heard the difference?

No, Mr Funny Guy, she was in the same room. My wife is a classically trained musician, she plays piano (not professionally, but quite good). She is not an audiophile, but is able to hear more nuances in sound than I. Maybe because she cannot hear in one ear after disease in childhood her second ear is more sensitive - I don't know, just guess.

I know it's common in internet discussion - using "wife's opinion" as support - but I'm getting tired of people suggesting I'm a liar. What is wrong with you, people?...

OP
M

Moriarty

I have a valve amplifier too ;) and have had others over the last 50 years.
Generally though valve amplifiers have quite high output impedance, enough to change the frequency response of speakers with complex impedance, so some valve amps will sound different to solid state amps with some speakers.

My knowledge on this matter is quite limited - I wouldn't be able to make a valve amplifier myself - I only can report what I hear. This is a push-pull amplifier using a pair of EL34 valves in each channel (it can also play in "linear" mode, but with circa half of the power - not enough for my speakers). I bought it with modern Chinese valves and replaced it with NOS RFT EL34 (produced in Germany a few decades ago). RFT valves were measured and paired with really marginal differences between both valves in each pair. I know nothing about Chinese valves (properly paired or not etc.).

I believe the rest of the electronics in my amplifier works well. I sent it to a well-reputed guy who makes valve amplifiers and upgrades them. He replaced some questionable-quality Chinese components with better ones, checked everything etc.

I know it's not a popular opinion here on this forum that valves change something in sound, but my experience is different. To be honest - totally different. I'm very happy I bought these "new old stock" RFT EL34. So happy, I have now a second complete quadra in my drawer as a reserve. Should be enough till the end of my life, I hope. These valves - according to common opinions - can work really long.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I know it's common in internet discussion - using "wife's opinion" as support - but I'm getting tired of people suggesting I'm a liar. What is wrong with you, people?...

(Real answer: No one says you're lying, they're saying that you're mistaken and need to implement basic controls in order for your impressions to have any validity)

Top Bottom